Surusu
  • I am disappointed, however, that the mainstream has not caught on

• by ahnaka0

Surusu is a web-based spaced repetition program (SRS) developed by Khatzumoto of AllJapaneseAllTheTime.com. For those of you unfamiliar with what an SRS is, it’s basically a smart electronic flashcard system that schedules reviews of information as efficiently as possible. Using an SRS can thus dramatically improve one’s learning process, as once something is entered into it, you will never forget it, provided you consistently use the program.

A card comes up and you rate it on a scale of 0-5 of how well you remember it, 0 being a total memory blank and 5 being ridiculously easy. The program then determines the optimal time to show that card again for retention.

Personally, I have used an SRS every day

for the past year or so. I have all sorts of things entered into it, separated by theme and/or subject matter into “decks”. Some examples of my decks include a hanzi (Chinese character) deck, which contains about 5,000 items. Yes, due to the power of SRS I can write over 5,000 Chinese characters from memory. Some other decks I have include a Japanese sentence deck, an “inspiration” deck full of motivating quotes and pieces of articles and such, an English vocabulary deck, etc. I was skeptical at first that utilizing an SRS could promise such huge results, but it’s really something that you won’t understand until you try it. I had to see for myself ...

• exactly how things worked before I understood the process, so read a quick introduction on how to use it and then jump in. The power of SRS becomes more and more apparent the longer you use it. As I said before, if you use one, you will NEVER forget anything in it. And the review times for me, with about 40,000 cards total, are only about 30 minutes a day. If you’re in school, you can say goodbye to studying and cramming. 30 minutes a day and you won’t forget a single thing.

Again, I love SRS. I am not exaggerating when I say it has completely revolutionized the way I look at learning. I

am disappointed, however, that the mainstream has not caught on. It seems to be a huge failure to utilize the results of psychological research (SRS programs and the forgetting curve are quite well-researched).

Surusu specifically is a very barebones SRS due it its purpose of being accessible from any internet-enabled device. But it certainly does its job and because of its ability to be accessed any time and any where, I am not bound to one computer doing my reviews and to me this makes it invaluable.

If you’re considering trying an SRS simply Google “What is an SRS?” and get started. You won’t regret it. I plan to continue using one for many years to come.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2017051480431231/k2311a0517/5.17.11