Post Shredded Wheat and Bran, Bite Size  » Food  »
2.7
  • I think 25 minutes of biking takes care of the cereal, itself
  • I love the crunch of this biscuit-shaped cereal, and though this may sound unappetizing to others, I have used them as substitutes in something like tuna salad when I cannot use bread or crackers, just for the texture
  • And, of course, I enjoy it in milk such as almond milk
  • But, I think it is yummy and I like that they are spoon-size
  • Of course, when in milk, I do not have this issue

• by WendyBird

Cereal was my favorite food before I became hypoglycemic, and I would eat it for most of my meals. After getting sick, I was faced with the realization that I would have to say “Goodbye” to most of my beloved brands. One that I can still enjoy, however, is Post Shredded Wheat and Bran.

It has no sugar, which means it’s not such a bad choice for not only me, but for my daughter. The only ingredients that are used to make it are 100% whole grain wheat and bran, both of which I can have in my diet. I also like it because it is a great source of carbs for me, each 1 & 1/4 cup

serving containing 49 grams. As far as calories, there are only 200 and since I go biking every day for a couple of hours, I’ve not only burned off the calories from this cereal, but for partial later meals. I think 25 minutes of biking takes care of the cereal, itself.

I love the crunch of this biscuit-shaped cereal, and though this may sound unappetizing to others, I have used them as substitutes in something like tuna salad when I cannot use bread or crackers, just for the texture. I find the flavor to be tricky. Sometimes when I eat it, I feel like it has the flavor of burned popcorn, and at other times, it tastes a lot like a piece of toast. In either circumstance, I still enjoy the flavor and usually eat this cereal as a snack, enjoying a handful by itself. Sometimes, I grab a handful and dip it into something like sunflower-butter (which is like peanut butter minus the sugar). And, of course, I enjoy it in “milk” such as almond milk.

When in milk, it quickly absorbs it, so I never add too much lest the cereal get too soggy. It maintains it’s crunch for only a few minutes before it gets soft. But, I think it is yummy and I like that they are spoon-size.

This cereal can fill me up pretty easily, possibly because of the fiber. It contains ...

• Post Shredded Wheat and Bran, Bite Size
      8 grams per serving and it’s a quick and easy way to get some of it within my body in one meal. It’s also a good way for me to get in some whole grains and a few vitamins and minerals. The whole grains are good for the heart while the bran is great for digestive health. I’d much rather eat a few servings of this cereal than by popping a vitamin pill to get what this cereal can give me.

They’re not so great for packing away on the go, if shoved into a purse like I do, in a small Ziploc bag. They crumble really easily while in my bag, and by the time I need

to eat them to bring my glucose up, they are pretty much dust. It is also a really dry cereal, one that I always need something to drink to wash it down, as I eat them. Of course, when in milk, I do not have this issue.

It’s a really affordable cereal, at around $2 a box, and found at most mass merchandisers and grocery stores. I sometimes like to add a little fruit to the cereal, if having it in almond or rice milk, and it becomes sweet enough that I do not even miss the sugar-laden cereals I used to eat. This cereal has become my preferred cereal, and I’ll continue to buy it as long as they make it.

bull says :

re : Of course, when in milk, I do not have this issue
healthy and tasty

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2716051479951231/k2311a0516/5.16.11