Hostess Twinkies
  • What I love about Hostess Twinkies is that they are a very simple dessert treat
  • I like the fact that they are almost like an eclair in shape and style but without chocolate
  • I think it's wise that Hostess does not wrap them in sets of two
  • Unfortunately, Twinkies contain a pretty high amount of sodium (220 milligrams per Twinkie)

• by Lisa Pellegrini

What I love about Hostess Twinkies is that they are a very simple dessert treat. I like the fact that they are almost like an eclair in shape and style but without chocolate. They are elongated sponge cakes with cream in the beginning, the middle, and the end of each cake. The sponge cake is moist and tasty, and it makes the Twinkies light and not too filling. The cream is nice and fluffy but not overly sweet.

Wegmans supermarket sells the Twinkies in a box of ten, and they

are priced at $6 for two boxes. That is a good deal if you eat them on a regular basis. I am glad that each Twinkie is individually wrapped, so that it makes them easy to take to work or school. Or you can take one with you if you are going on a road trip and want something sweet to snack on. I think it’s wise that Hostess does not wrap them in sets of two. Two Twinkies would be too tempting, and it may give dessert lovers ...

• like me the urge to consume more sugar and calories than we should.

I think it is nice that Twinkies are a chocolate-free dessert, and yet they are just as delicious as most of the store-bought chocolate treats (like Hostess Ding Dongs and Drake’s Devil Dogs). I love chocolate, but sometimes it’s nice to have a change in my dessert routine. Unfortunately, Twinkies contain a pretty high amount of sodium (220 milligrams per Twinkie). They also contain 20 milligrams of cholesterol per Twinkie. But at least they don’t contain any

trans fat. Still, for people who need to watch their sodium or cholesterol intake, it’s probably best to eat a Twinkie only once in a great while, if at all. I like Twinkies because they are fun to eat, and I love the combination of the whipped cream filling and the light-as-air sponge cake that reminds me of ladyfinger cakes. I can see why Twinkies have been around for so many years (at least 30), and I would not be surprised if they are still a best-selling dessert 30 years from now.

Hostess Twinkies

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2716051479371231/k2311a0516/5.16.11