Bodhi Tree Thai Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
2.5
58 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10003
  • The menu options were pretty standard, with a few interesting exceptions such as the Black Noodle appetizer, which both my boyfriend and I got as part of our $10 deal
  • Unfortunately, this was definitely not the case with this dish

• by Agoobacha

Recently, on one of the first nice days of spring, my boyfriend and I took a stroll around the East Village and, inevitably, got hungry along the way. As we are both huge fans of Thai food, that was our first choice for dinner and luckily an opportunity to sit down quickly presented itself in the form of the Bodhi Tree Thai restaurant. Unassumingly situated on a quiet block, this little place hardly pops out, but it was there and we were hungry so we decided to go in. It did not hurt that there was a $10 dinner special that permitted two appetizers and a main dish per customer, in fact this was an incredible deal especially in this neighborhood.

Our thinking was that we had never found a Thai

restaurant that we did not like. Although this was not necessarily a bad restaurant, it was miles away from what I am used to in terms of Thai food. First of all the place has no charm, save for its attractive name, which is what initially drew us to enter here. The chairs are plain metal, with dirty or worn white pads, and everything looks just a little bit run down. Service was fast an efficient, that was a plus, however there was also only two other patrons in the restaurant so that may not be saying much.

The menu options were pretty standard, with a few interesting exceptions such as the Black Noodle appetizer, which both my boyfriend and I got as part of our $10 deal. We also ...

• both ordered Tom Yum soup, a Thai classic, and a spicy basil dish, he got rice and I got noodles. The food arrived very quickly and nicely presented on a little platter. Of course, this being New York City and the price being so low the portions were fairly small, but as there were three things to eat, this ended up being just the right amount of food. The soup was good with a nice spice to it, however it was nothing special and clearly was just overloaded with salt. The Black Noodle appetizer was really just udon noodles covered in soy sauce and tofu, completely underwhelming. Udon noodles are not a Thai dish and the limp noodles with the cold soy sauce and tofu did nothing to appear appetizing. I
        did not finish this dish.

My main course, the spicy basil noodles were just okay. The noodles themselves were a bit too thick for my liking, making me feel like I was going into gluten overload. My favorite thing about Thai food is the way all the different textures and flavors compliment each other and combine to form a kind of food symphony. Unfortunately, this was definitely not the case with this dish; I felt like I was eating one indistinct mass of noodle globs, and could hardly distinguish what was what.

Overall this was an okay place to stop in because we were hungry and the price really is pretty unbeatable, however this is a completely inaccurate representation of a Thai food restaurant, run down and completely unimpressive where the food is concerned.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 713051478931231/k2311a0513/5.13.11