Burt’s Bees Muscle Mend Rub, .45 oz
  • For some reason I thought it would be a heavy salve, but it isn’t too bad at all
  • I have used the other ingredients in other formulas, so I know approximately what to expect from them
  • I find the scent very relaxing, and sometimes I like to use the product just as aroma therapy
  • Basically, it is an excellent and slightly more interesting mentholated rub that will assist in relieving minor muscle and joint pain

• by reviewabit

I have fibromyalgia and often use over the counter muscle rubs and gels to treat the painful and stiff muscles I struggle with chronically. I also happen to be a pretty big fan of Burt’s Bees products, and when I saw this one, it was something I had to try. There are so many different pain relief counter-irritant menthol rubs on the market, and most of them are basically the same ingredients in varying ratios. This one offered a slightly different formulation, which broke up the boredom for me.

While it has 16% menthol, which is pretty much in all muscle rubs except for the salicylate or capsaicin types,

it also adds a few novel botanicals. It has japan fruit wax, hemp seed oil, cornmint oil, eucalyptus, and clove stem oil. I have never heard of cornmint oil outside of this product.

The japan fruit and hemp seed oils are a carrier for the product, and clove oil may actually work as a mild analgesic. This has a slightly different fragrance than most muscle rubs, which is one thing about it that I really like. It still smells of menthol and eucalyptus, but has some sort of “herbal” smelling notes about it too.

It’s not as greasy as I expected it to be. For some reason I thought it would ...

• be a heavy salve, but it isn’t too bad at all. As far as its effectiveness on muscles, it works as well as any menthol based product would.

I have had a hard time determining if any effect is added from the clove oil. I have used the other ingredients in other formulas, so I know approximately what to expect from them. I find the scent very relaxing, and sometimes I like to use the product just as aroma therapy.

It’s also nice to rub a small amount on your temples, or back of your neck, to help relieve tension. You will get a nice cool mint tingle from the product within seconds.

When you rub it into sore muscles, you will get the full counter irritant effect, meaning a cold or heat sensation that will distract your sensory nerves from the pain, thus providing relief.

Whether you perceive it as cold or hot depends on your nervous system. Some product call themselves “cooling” and others claim “heat. ” Basically, it can be either one, as the two are more closely related than you might think as far as how the nerves interpret menthol.

I personally find this product to be more of a “cooling” product. Basically, it is an excellent and slightly more interesting mentholated rub that will assist in relieving minor muscle and joint pain.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3411051478390231/k2311a0511/5.11.11