Playbook 16GB with WiFi
2.0
  • If you just want a simple opinion, I suggest you don't buy the Playbook
  • I've played around with the Playbook quite a bit and noticed some strengths and weaknesses
  • In the box, I found a user manual, which is pretty simple to follow
  • The best thing I like about the Playbook is the email feature
  • However, many people may disagree with me

• by MisterTickle

If you just want a simple opinion, I suggest you don’t buy the Playbook. Research in Motion does not specialize in internet tablets. They mainly make phones for business people. However, you can’t exactly underestimate the PlayBook either. I’ve played around with the Playbook quite a bit and noticed some strengths and weaknesses.

To start off with, the Playbook has a seven inch screen with a 5 megapixel camera. It runs on the Blackberry operating system and it uses an Li-ion battery. It has an integrated wireless N with blue tooth option. This model has an internal memory of 16 GB.

I chose the 16 GB mainly because I feel any capacity larger than this would be a waste. I personally do not listen to a lot of songs or watch a lot of videos so 16 GB of space is more than enough. I can put enough applications on the Playbook, some videos, some songs, and still have space left over. I really don’t feel that

it is necessary to get any other storage capacity. In the box, I found a user manual, which is pretty simple to follow. It comes with a wall charging adapter, software, and data cable. This is about it. The wall adapter is mainly for charging the Playbook. The data cable is for transferring files between the tablet and my computer.

To start off with, the Playbook has some strengths. For starters, the battery life is great. I managed to get eight hours out of the battery life. On an average charge, I can use the Playbook for about seven to eight hours before having to charge it up again. I find that it is possible to go three or four days on a single charge, but that is only if you don’t use the Playbook too often. That is just one of the strengths. The best thing I like about the Playbook is the email feature. Like the Blackberry, I can check if I have any new ...

• mail simply by waking up the device. Unlike the Apple iPad or any other products, I don’t have to wake the device, launch the email application, log in, and then check if I have any new mail. This feature is very very useful and I have to say Research in Motion did the right thing. However, I am done. As you can see, I didn’t have a very positive experience with the Playbook.

Now, I am going to introduce some of the problems with the Playbook. I found that the weight is an issue. The Motorola Xoom also has this problem. The tablet is about twice as heavy as the iPad. This is also the case with the Playbook. This seven inch tablet is a bit heavier than it is supposed to be. However, many people may disagree with me. There really isn’t a standard of what is considered heavy and what isn’t. It really just depends on your personal feel of the device. I find it heavy

so I put it under the “problems” section of the Playbook. The other thing I noticed was the number of applications available. The marketplace does not have a lot of applications to choose from. It would be easier if the Playbook has a dual operating system feature and then the tablet can also run Android. It’s true that this will drain the battery, but there are barely any applications for users to install onto the device. My last complaint is not VoIP or any other type of VoIP communications.

Skype is currently not available on the Playbook. I have searched with no success.

Overall, my impressions on the Playbook is not good. There’s a lot of room for improvement. The weight needs to improve in order to improve mobility. The high price and the low performance doesn’t make any sense at all. I suggest you to avoid getting the Playbook and choose another tablet. There are some benefits with the Playbook, but the problems out weigh the benefits.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 169051477190131/k2311a059/5.9.11