“I Kill Hippies” 7″ by Jack Tragic & The Unfortunates (Single, 1983)  » Music  »
  • Their 1983 single, I Kill Hippies / Mind Loot , showed that the genre's decline had no effect on their aspiration and ability to create one of the best punk singles ever to be released

• by Ricardo L

Jack Tragic & The Unfortunates were punk band from Connecticut, USA, who released full-blown, phenomenal hardcore during the time punk was on its way down. These guys were just about as obscure as they got and seemed to surface a couple years late. Their 1983 single, “I Kill Hippies”/”Mind Loot”, showed that the genre’s decline had no effect on their aspiration and ability to create one of the best punk singles ever to be released.

The

A-side is the great “I Kill Hippies”. At just over 3 minutes, it is somewhat long for hardcore, but a diverse structure keeps it from being repetitive. The song has a cryptic, sinister atmosphere with its mid tempo and a raw production that gave it depth and emptiness.The echo-filled vocals compliment the atmosphere perfectly. It almost sounds like a crust-punk song slowed down 300%. I would easily put this as one of my top 10 ...

• best punk songs.

On the B-side is “Mind Loot”. It has similar production characteristics as the A-side, except it is much fuller and louder, giving it a more hardcore sound. Once again, the quiet, echoed vocals are the perfect compliment, and a remarkable amount of diversity throughout the song keeps it from being repetitive. While I can’t say it can top “I Kill Hippies”, it is an awesome B-side.

I have the “I Kill Hippies” 7″

in my top 10 collection for punk rock. It has a unique sound that most bands of the era didn’t have. It is easy to tell with this record that these guys didn’t care that punk was basically dead by 1983. If anything, they helped keep it alive. I find it to be one of the best records I have ever come across. If you have a punk collection, you must include the “I Kill Hippies” 7″.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 149051476071131/k2311a059/5.9.11