Sennheiser HD200  » Electronics  »
  • In my opinion, most of the headphones on the market, big clunky looking things, or so flimsy looking they might just shatter if you even look at them too aggressively can compare
  • I am not an audiophile or anything, but I enjoyed the fact that the bass isn't hammering into my skull the way other headphones/earphones try to achieve, and give out a crisp, well-rounded sound
  • I wouldn't recommend it for die-hard hip-hop/rap fans, but it plays practically every genre of music very well
  • So many great things on a set of headphones that cost about 30$
  • However, I love watching TV shows, and when I have these headphones on my ears for more than an hour or so, my top parts of my ears start to hurt and become sore

• by Areeb Usmani

Approximately two years ago, my dad bought me a pair of Sennheiser HD202 headphones. I have to admit–they look STYLISH. In my opinion, most of the headphones on the market, big clunky looking things, or so flimsy looking they might just shatter if you even look at them too aggressively can compare. They look great hanging around your neck, and that’s a big factor for me, since I’m a sucker for appearances. Despite the headphones looking absolutely stunning, they are quite affordable–on Amazon. com, they’re selling them for about $32.

49 now. My dad got a good deal on them for about $20. Their sound is great, especially for what you pay for them. I am not an audiophile or anything, but I enjoyed the fact that the bass isn’t hammering into my skull the way other headphones/earphones try to achieve, and give out a crisp, well-rounded sound. I wouldn’t recommend it for die-hard hip-hop/rap fans, but it plays practically every genre of music very well.

I used it for making music on Reason (a music-making software) and these work very well for that purpose, because there is no bass overkill. What is unusual

and wonderful about these headphones is that the ear-cups come off. Yes. If you’re watching something on your computer and you want to use your headphones, you don’t have to do rummage for a splitter or tell your friend to go away! Whenever I watch something on my laptop and my brother wants to watch, I just pull off one of the earcups and let him hold it to his ear while I listen with one cup attached to the headset. So many great things on a set of headphones that cost about 30$.

However, it has it’s shortcomings. I’m not terribly careful about my possessions, and these Sennheisers have practically been dragged through the mud. I’ve dropped them, thrown them in my bag full of books, and even sat on them once. It didn’t let on any wear and tear up until quite recently, about half a year ago. My left earcup started declining in volume, and there was some crackling in the sound.

All it would take is a little wire-wiggling and it would be fine. A month later, that earcup would go mute. Again, I would elevate the wire ...

• a little bit, and then it would be fine. However, now I can only listen to it through one ear. I guess I can blame myself for that, but I’m putting it out there for those of you like myself.

MY shortcomings aside, there are a couple of things that I dislike about these headphones. It might just be a Sennheiser legacy, but the wire is, like, 30 feet long! Who needs a wire that can wrap around the world twice? Sennheiser provides this spool-like thing you can wrap all that spare wire around, so you aren’t stuck making a mass of wire-jumble. But still, why go through all that trouble?

Another flaw–these headphones leak like CRAZY. If you play music on them at a satisfying loud volume, people know what you’re listening to. It doesn’t happen too much when you’re watching TV shows or movies, but there have been far too many embarrassing incidents when the people on my bus sing along to whatever song is playing on my headphones.

Back to the wire, naturally, if you want detachable earcups (which are totally awesome), you would have to have separate wires

for each earcup. Basically two wires trail from the earcups, converge, and are stuck together and become one. Here’s what I find annoying: Sennheiser has made these separate wires…separable, so you can pull the two apart until they converge at a place which you find comfortable. But if you tug at headphones too hard if they’re stuck under your couch or something, the wires pull apart. My restless brother, in boredom, pulled the wires apart until the end, where the input jack is.

It doesn’t help the tangle crisis. Comfort is another issue. In general, they are very comfortable, and fit snugly around the ears. The earcups move up and down the head set depend on how big your head is, and it fits perfectly. However, I love watching TV shows, and when I have these headphones on my ears for more than an hour or so, my top parts of my ears start to hurt and become sore.

But in conclusion, these are well worth the price. They are beautiful and their sound is astonishingly good. A couple of flaws, but if you don’t want them, then a 30$ set of ‘phones just isn’t right for you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 169051476041131/k2311a059/5.9.11