Sewing Pattern Vogue 1240 (V1240)  » Other  »
  • When I'm sewing patterns that I purchase from McCalls, Vogue, Butterick, or whomever else I like to follow the fabric guidelines until I am more knowledgeable and comfortable with my fabric choices
  • I liked how I got the chance to work with an invisible zipper because I think they are the most useful notions when you're sewing a garment that you want people to think was effortless to create
  • Not to mention, I dislike having all my zippers visible unless it adds to the design of the garment
  • This dress definitely gets a lot of wear not to mention I have recreated it in various solids and prints

• by C.Channing

Sewing pattern Vogue 1240 (V1240) is a flirty, knee-length and sleeveless summer dress designed by Guy Laroche. Laroche is a French designer who designs everything from women’s wear to accessories to lingerie. I have not seen a lot of Laroche’s designs, but from what I have seen his clothes are made for the modern woman and can work in any setting if styled properly.

I was so upset when I saw the front of the envelope because I feel in love with the print fabric that was used to create the dress. When I’m sewing patterns that I purchase from McCalls, Vogue, Butterick, or whomever else I like to follow the fabric guidelines until I am more knowledgeable and comfortable with my fabric choices; therefore, because

I couldn’t find a print within the realms of the fabric suggestions on the envelope I opted for solid red chiffon. Because it is summer I want to play up a lot of color which us why I chose the blazing red chiffon. I also purchased solid black chiffon so I could create my own prints using tie-dye. The notions I had were an invisible zipper, hook and eyes, and snaps. At this point because I sew zippers so much with my sewing projects I have become sort of an expert which I like because I enjoy sewing on zippers. I had to add a lining which I always cringe about; however, I am trying to instill my aunt’s advice about lining whenever I have ...

• to do them.

Besides the lining, I liked sewing this dress because it was a simple sewing project with minimal notions. I liked how I created the layered look with the direction of the sewing pattern of course. I liked the collar of the dress which I tend to stay away from collars during the summer; however, the collar actually elongated my neck when I tried the dress on making me look taller. The collar was also good for when I went into a restaurant without a jacket because it kept me warm without having anything on my arms. I like the fabric choice because it made the dress really move while I was walking especially when a breeze swept by me.

Overall, I liked sewing pattern

Vogue 1240 (V1240) because it was an easy project for me and it gave me the opportunity to practice lining a garment. I liked how I got the chance to work with an invisible zipper because I think they are the most useful notions when you’re sewing a garment that you want people to think was effortless to create. Not to mention, I dislike having all my zippers visible unless it adds to the design of the garment. I love the look and feel of the collar and I like how the dress flows: it’s very comfortable to wear and can transition from day to night. This dress definitely gets a lot of wear not to mention I have recreated it in various solids and prints.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 129051475951131/k2311a059/5.9.11