Kong Classic Dog Toy  » Pets  »
  • I bought a Kong toy for my eight month old puppy a few weeks ago and I can thoroughly recommend them as it has been a great success
  • The large size was about £14 but the medium one I have cost me about £7
  • I bought the Classic Kong which is shaped like three balls squashed together and is longer than it is wide, but you can also buy one completely round like a ball

• by Jeanne71

I bought a Kong toy for my eight month old puppy a few weeks ago and I can thoroughly recommend them as it has been a great success. Not only does Charlie love it but he has not managed to chew it into pieces as he has done with other toys. I had read many times on the internet how good these toys are so I finally bought one from my local pet shop. There are different sizes available – small, medium and large – and I chose the medium for my Border collie and Labrador mix and it is fine for the size of his jaws and it will not get stuck in his throat. The large size was about £14 but the medium one I have cost me

about £7. You may think that is expensive for a dog toy but the fact that these are really built to last make them good value really. One pack of 5 tennis balls, for example, costs me £1.50 and really, Charlie can get through them all in a couple of weeks by chewing them up. He has had a cloth tug toy in the shape of a spider which I did eventually have to throw away when the poor thing had its legs chewed off and then the stuffing started coming out. I also do not like Charlie to swallow too much rubbish as he does that anyway with his penchant for stuff from the waste bin, but this Kong toy seems pretty indestructible to me so I am hoping ...

• it will last for years to come.

I bought the Classic Kong which is shaped like three balls squashed together and is longer than it is wide, but you can also buy one completely round like a ball. This is entertaining enough for the dog though as it bounces across the floor if you throw it for him. Not only does he like me play fetch with this in the living room, but it has a hollow middle and you can stuff these with treats so your dog has fun chomping on it to get the treats out. You can use your imagination with what you put in this – peanut butter is a good one – but I usually stuff it with a dried jerky treat I regularly get for him.

The toy is made of a tough, rubbery plastic and Charlie really enjoys chewing on it and it must feel great on his gums as his new teeth are coming through. I can ram the treats into this pretty well but he still manages to get them out, sometimes lying on his back and holding the toy like a monkey would, but with his front paws, emptying it into his mouth. The contents loosen up as they chomp down on it.

My dog finds this very entertaining anyway and these are handy when I want to watch a film or something and yet Charlie wants to play. If I get the Kong out of his toy basket and put something yummy in it, Charlie is kept very happy. I would recommend this toy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292051473900231/k2311a052/5.2.11