Sushi Q in Chino Hills, CA  » Restaurants  »
3330 Grand Ave. #B, Chino Hills, CA 91709
  • Sushi Q is the best sushi restaurant in existence, as far as I'm concerned
  • Along the left wall of the store is a self-serve condiment bar, with things like soy sauce, chopsticks, ginger, wasabi, eel sauce, etc. There used to be a frozen yogurt machine along the wall too, which was also $2.50 for essentially all you can eat fro-yo, but last time I went they had it removed because it wasn't cost-effective and replaced it with a wall-mounted LCD TV, which made me sad
  • They have a non-spicy version as well but I prefer the spicy as the kick of heat adds a lot to the ginger flavor
  • I don't dip this in anything because the natural flavor of raw salmon combined with the coolness of the cucumber is amazing in its own right
  • That alone should seal the deal, but Sushi Q is also the only restaurant I know of that has tons of promotions and events

• by ahnaka0

Let me cut straight to the chase: Sushi Q is the best sushi restaurant in existence, as far as I’m concerned. Why, you ask? For starters, every plate is $2.50, INCLUDING tax. They have nigirizushi, standard rolls, deep-fried rolls, handrolls, tempura twinkies, edamame, and more. The fact that this is the cheapest sushi I’ve ever come across is compounded by the fact that it is also the best I’ve ever come across. I am a semi-regular at the restaurant, and every time I go I can’t help but marvel at the price/quality ratio.

The restaurant is very, very small and kind of out-of-the-way, but it is certainly worth a drive. Walking in, there are a few small tables to the right, and a long sushi bar towards the back. Behind that is, of course, the person preparing the orders by hand. One thing that you’ll notice is the loud hip-hop and techno music that is constantly playing (there’s a sign posted on the wall that loud music is store policy and cannot be turned down; these guys have personality); not everyone’s cup of tea but I for one love it. Along the left wall of the store is a self-serve condiment bar, with things like soy sauce, chopsticks, ginger, wasabi, eel sauce, etc. There used to be a frozen yogurt machine along the wall too, which was also $2.50 for essentially all you can eat fro-yo, but last time I went they had it removed because it wasn’t cost-effective and replaced it with a wall-mounted LCD TV, which made me sad. They had amazing frozen yogurt. But oh

well. On to the food!

When I come here, I usually order 6 plates. I start with edamame and spicy ginger chicken (two marinated chicken legs), which is absolutely divine. I don’t know how long they marinate it but it is incredibly tender, enough to easily eat with chopsticks, and the flavor is top-notch. They have a non-spicy version as well but I prefer the spicy as the kick of heat adds a lot to the ginger flavor. Their edamame is simple boiled edamame, served in a bowl. A great way to start a meal. Then for my four sushi plates I tend to vary a lot depending on mood, but some of my favorite are their soft-shell crab roll, shrimp tempura roll, spicy tuna with fresh water eel, and any of their handrolls (unagi, spicy lobster, and salmon stand out the most). The soft-shell crab and tempura rolls are pretty huge, at least 3-4 inches in diameter, and are 3 pieces per order. I don’t even know what is all in these rolls, and they don’t last long enough for me to analyze them once they arrive on my table. Dip them in eel sauce and devour. Crunchy goodness! The spicy tuna with fresh water eel is your standard spicy tuna roll with a slice of unagi on top, drizzled with eel sauce. The eel does sooo much for the flavor of the tuna and the result is a very robust roll. One order consists of 4 pieces. Their handrolls vary a little but my favorite is a standard salmon, which is sushi rice, cucumber slices,

• and raw salmon slices wrapped in nori. I don’t dip this in anything because the natural flavor of raw salmon combined with the coolness of the cucumber is amazing in its own right. There are a few other things I order occasionally but these are my favorites, and the menu is extensive, with well over 100 items to choose from. On a side note, I love that they serve actual matcha green tea here and that its free.

So the restaurant has amazing sushi, and even some other food, at dirt-cheap prices. That alone should seal the deal, but Sushi Q is also the only restaurant I know of that has tons of promotions and events; the owners of the store really care and do their best to make their restaurant a great place. They have what they call a “Food Derby” every once in a while where customers can sign up in parties of 3. The object for each party is to order as many plates as possible over a period of a few weeks in order to win prizes. They have a large chart on their wall which tracks the place of each party. The rules concerning plates is that at least one member of the party must be present, but any other people they bring, their plates all count for the party. So, for example, if me and two friends sign up as a party, but I come without my friends but bring along my whole family, all those plates count for our party. I haven’t actually participated in a Food Derby yet but I really want to;

last time people won some major prizes: Xbox 360s, big-screen TVs, etc. Also, Sushi Q is pretty active on Twitter and will sometimes have “Secret Twitter Events” in which they’ll tweet that such an event is started, and if you come in and show that you follow them, every plate is $1. Yes, you read that correctly, $1. No matter how much you order. $1 per plate. I just recently learned of these events when striking up a conversation with the sushi chef, but you can bet I followed them. On their official website they also have coupons you can print out, which give you two free plates with the purchase of four or more plates; I always use these coupons when I come and thus my total order of 6 plates, which more than fills me up, is $10 flat. Apparently they also have All-You-Can-Eat events during the summer in which you pay $5 a person at the door, come in and eat as much sushi as you can. $5. That is ridiculous. I have no idea how they turn a profit with prices like this, but the store seems to thrive. And I love it. I come here whenever I can because I want to support this restaurant, and I want there to be more like it; I often talk to the people there as I eat and they have plans to expand into Riverside where I live, which is awesome because it’ll save me the drive.

So anyways, if you’re in the Chino Hills area, and even if you’re not, check this place out. You will NOT regret it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 729041473010530/k2311a0429/4.29.11