Ananda Marga Yoga Center in Cebu, Philippines
410 Don Pedro Rodriguez Street, Capitol Site, Cebu City, Philippines
  • When I checked on their website today I found out it now costs Php1,200
  • The best part, you get free snacks at the end of each session
  • Healthy vegetarian food that are actually really delicious
  • To recap, I highly recommend signing up for Ananda Marga Yoga classes because you really get more than what you pay for
  • Unfortunately I stopped attending once I found out I was pregnant

• by my2cents

I am constantly searching for ways to improve my health by changing my diet and lifestyle. I’ve heard about yoga classes offered by Ananda Marga but wasn’t able to join at first due to conflict in schedules. After a year of putting it off, I finally enrolled myself in their Beginner’s Course in January of 2008. At that time, the entire Beginner’s Course which lasted 8 sessions (4 weeks) was only Php1,100. That was pretty affordable. When I checked on their website today I found out it now costs Php1,200. Still very affordable in my opinion. The schedule is every Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30pm to 8:30pm. They also have an Intermediate Course which happens every Wednesday evenings at 6:30pm.

Ananda Marga is actually a small two-storey house tucked away in one of the back streets of Capitol Site in Cebu. It’s across Dynasty

Tourist Inn. Some people find this off-putting because it doesn’t have that professional gym feel. It feels more like a boarding house. The place is really small and a bit run down but has a homey feel to it. The first floor holds the lobby, a small dining area, kitchen and two toilet/bathrooms plus a small room where you can buy different healthy foods like whole grain bread, corn coffee, etc.

Classes are held on the second floor. It’s actually big enough to hold more or less 15 people on yoga mats. You can bring your own yoga mat or use the ones that they have. You don’t have to worry about starting the classes in the middle of the 8 sessions. You can start anytime as long as you complete all 8 sessions. What I liked about this place is you can ...

• come back even if you finished the whole Beginner’s Course and you don’t have to pay for it. That was in 2008. Hopefully it still holds true today.

I’ve learned more than what I expected by joining this class. I expected to learn only about the yoga poses (called asanas) but they go beyond that. They teach you proper breathing techniques, tantra meditation, relaxation with visualization and the Kaoshiki Dance (yoga dance). Another bonus I wasn’t expecting but am truly grateful for is the lecture that comes after the asanas, meditation and relaxation. The head yogi (male yoga master) would gather us in a circle and explain to us the many benefits (particularly health benefits) of all that we do there. He taught us the right diet, some healthy habits, proper meditation techniques and tips. And they hand out notes to take home

so you won’t easily forget what you’ve learned.

The best part, you get free snacks at the end of each session! (For the Intermediate classes, you get free vegetarian dinner after each session.) Healthy vegetarian food that are actually really delicious. They also held a cooking class where they teach you about healthy recipes that you can easily duplicate at home.

To recap, I highly recommend signing up for Ananda Marga Yoga classes because you really get more than what you pay for. You can get an entire lifestyle change at such an affordable price. I even convinced my mother-in-law to join in! Unfortunately I stopped attending once I found out I was pregnant. I haven’t gone back since due to my ever hectic schedule. But I still try to find some time to do some asanas whenever I can. Good thing for those hand outs!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4128041472890430/k2311a0428/4.28.11