Caladryl Calamine Anti-itch Lotion
  • Unfortunately, because of the heat I got some prickly heat rashes all over my back, shoulders and thighs
  • I know that scratching it is a big no-no but I really could not help it

• by asg

I just recently got back from a very nice vacation. Unfortunately, because of the heat I got some prickly heat rashes all over my back, shoulders and thighs. I have never had any problems before and this is the first time I have ever suffered from prickly heat or maybe sun rashes, however you want to call it. It was so terrible that I could hardly sleep at night because I have the undying urge to scratch my skin. I know that scratching it is a big no-no but I really could not help it. The more I scratch it, the more it gets itchier. For several days I could not sleep because it was so bad. I then started to have more redness and irritation and it really was terrible.

I really did not know what to do

anymore. Going to a dermatologist is not an option because honestly, for prickly heat? I really did not want to spend just to go see a doctor over this. So I realized I had to purchase a Calamine lotion for my skin. I know that if I let this go on for several more days my skin is really likely to get scratched and wounded. I went to the pharmacy to get me some Caladryl lotion. I know that Caladryl has been around for ages and I have used it before when I was really, really young, so I figured hey it is worth a try.

One small bottle, around 30ml costs only less than $1 (Php35). I really did not feel the need to get a bigger bottle, so this one was just enough for me for the ...

• meantime. Caladryl Lotion contains Calamine and Diphenhydramine. This is used to soothe itchy skin due to insect bites, allergy and minor skin irritations. I have had people prescribed this medication for rashes because of Dengue fever.

Using it is a breeze. It comes in a nice flip top cover and I just had to shake the bottle and pour some on my palms before spreading it on the affected area. I am telling you, I poured a lot on my palms and spread it on my rashes. I know it is not a miracle drug, but nevertheless, it did reduce the amount of itch and irritation on my prickly heat. On the bottle it says to not put this Caladryl lotion on open lesions and broken skin especially chicken pox lesions. Also, since babies almost always have diaper

or prickly heat, this product is not intended for babies below 2 years of age.

For 3 days I used this product for 3-4 times daily. The itching did not disappear right away, but it did reduce the itch from 9/10 to 4/10. The rashes are still there, now dried up and peeling off for some reason, but the itching has gradually come to a stop. This medication has been a great help for me especially during the nights when I really could not get myself to sleep because the skin itching is killing me.

This product is cheap, effective, but still is a medication so it is to be used as instructed and please do not expect instant miracles. Also when not sure, always consult a doctor before using any medicine especially for very young children and babies.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2628041472850430/k2311a0428/4.28.11