Boiron Chestal Honey Cough Syrup 8.45 oz
2.5
  • Since I did not have any other cough syrups at the time and was due to see the doctor in a few days anyway, I decided to give this a try
  • It is extremely sweet, and I believe now that this is actually what gives the effect of slowing down the cough
  • If you are diabetic, unless you are in the process of having a hypoglycemia attack, I would NOT recommend this product

• by reviewabit

When I had a bad hacking cough due to a chest infection, my neighbor offered some of this to me. Her son has chronic respiratory issues, and also has sensitivities to many drugs so she relies on a lot of natural products to take care of him. This syrup contains a list of many homeopathic elements that I do not recognize, but that claim to soothe various types of cough caused by different things.

Two teaspoons every two hours was the dosage. Since I did not

have any other cough syrups at the time and was due to see the doctor in a few days anyway, I decided to give this a try.

It tastes nice- if you like pure honey with extra sugar on top. It is extremely sweet, and I believe now that this is actually what gives the effect of slowing down the cough.

I took the first two teaspoons straight from a spoon, and it was like liquid candy. I did stop coughing, and there was a bit more mucus production for a few minutes, but then everything went back to the same as it was before taking the product.

I was concerned about the effect that sweet stuff would have on my blood sugar– since it was literally honey and sucrose as a base for the product. I took a reading and it was acceptable, so I continued taking the syrup every two hours.

Let me explain that this was early in my learning how to manage diabetes, and ...

• Boiron Chestal Honey Cough Syrup 8.45 oz
      I did not think about the cumulative effect of all the sugar during the course of the day. When I went to take my blood sugar later in the evening, it was over 260.

That was a wake up call, and I did not take any more of the syrup, although it had actually seemed to help. I explained what had happened to my doctor when I saw her, and she said there was no permanent harm done, but that obviously this product was

not a good one for diabetics to use.

She stated what I had already suspected, that the honey itself was probably what calmed the cough and not the unpronounceable list of botanicals. If you have a cough, and cannot take standard medications for it, this might offer some relief if you are able to use it every few hours and can stand the sweetness, calories, and sugar.

If you are diabetic, unless you are in the process of having a hypoglycemia attack, I would NOT recommend this product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3428041472360430/k2311a0428/4.28.11