Lyric Opera in Chicago, IL  » Theatre  »
20 North Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL
  • I thought both of the shows were extremely well-done, though Carmen wasn't quite as good as The Elixir of Love
  • Overall I think the male singers are better than the female singers, but not by much
  • The seats are very comfortable and it’s definitely not hard to stay seated for a whole performance, even though I have occasional back pain
  • I suggest sitting on the main floor because the view is impeccable
  • However, if you can swing the price, I recommend giving the Lyric Opera a try if you’re a fan of theater or classical music, or even if you’re just looking for something interesting to do one night

• by m_061793

I have been to Lyric Opera of Chicago twice. The first was for L’Elisir d’Amore, or The Elixir of Love, in March of 2010. The second was for Carmen in March of 2011. The Lyric Opera is a very prestigious opera house, and for good reason.

I thought both of the shows were extremely well-done, though Carmen wasn’t quite as good as The Elixir of Love. The actress playing Carmen in the latter didn’t have a lot of charisma and I

didn’t think her singing was anything special, compared to other cast members. This might have been due to it being a matinee performance; I don’t know if she also acted in evening performances.

The other lead actress was much better. Her voice sent shivers down my spine in her solo in Act III. Overall I think the male singers are better than the female singers, but not by much.

They are all extremely talented and it’s a delight to hear their performances. The opera house itself is gorgeous. The seats are very comfortable and it’s definitely not hard to stay seated for a whole performance, even though I have occasional back pain.

I suggest sitting on the main floor because the view is impeccable. The acoustics in the theater are great. Even from the very back of the room the singing is clear and loud.

The orchestra is also wonderful, and the conductor does a great job. If you are an instrumentalist ...

• Lyric Opera in Chicago, IL
      yourself, before the performances you can go up to the orchestra pit and sometimes you’ll see some players practicing before the show starts. It’s really cool.

I also love the scenery at the Lyric Opera. I don’t know how they do it but the scenery is so detailed and elegantly done. Everything looks very realistic and I’m sure it costs a fortune, but it’s definitely worth it for the effect! Now, as we all know, going to the opera is very

expensive.

There is no dress code at the Lyric Opera but you should wear nice clothes to avoid looking out of place, and the tickets cost a ton. However, if you can swing the price, I recommend giving the Lyric Opera a try if you’re a fan of theater or classical music, or even if you’re just looking for something interesting to do one night. I still like Broadway shows better but the Lyric Opera definitely changed the way I think about opera music.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3228041472310430/k2311a0428/4.28.11