Teach Yourself Visually Chess by Jon Edwards – Book  » Books  »
  • Teach Yourself Visually Chess by Jon Edwards is the first chess book I bought myself
  • One of them is where you start right from the bottom and learn only through experience
  • Most newcomers to the game (especially youngsters) shy away from chess books because of the “boring looking” black and white diagrams
  • Chapter 9 focuses on different opening variations and shows which ones is good to implement and which ones you should avoid

• by dsiebrits

Teach Yourself Visually Chess by Jon Edwards is the first chess book I bought myself. I have been playing chess for just over 5 years now and my current ELO rating stands at 1600. This book gave me a real kick start into the world of chess. In the beginning I knew how to play chess in terms of the rules but I didn’t have a clue how to play correctly against my opponents.

There are 2 ways to learn chess. One of them is where you start right from the bottom and learn only through experience. You slowly and gradually learn through your losses. This is not a nice way to learn how to play chess because

nobody likes to lose game after game. You are also more likely to give up on the game unless you are very passionate about playing. This method of learning chess has it’s merits because you are building on a solid foundation.

However, most of us have 9-5 jobs (like me) and learning how to play chess only through experience is somewhat time consuming (time we don’t have) and impractical. That’s why you get chess books like “Teach Yourself Visually Chess”. These books are written by chess experts/grandmasters who have learned tediously through experience so that we don’t have to learn the hard way (via mistakes) like they did.

Teach Yourself Visually Chess by Jon Edwards (a Senior International ...

• Master) is an excellent chess book mostly suited for beginners but even more experienced players will find it helpful. Most newcomers to the game (especially youngsters) shy away from chess books because of the “boring looking” black and white diagrams. What sets this book apart from other chess books is that the whole book is full of beautiful photo illustrations, thus making the learning process more enjoyable and appealing.

If you know nothing about chess then this is the book to get. In the first 2 chapters you will learn the basic rules of the game and how all the pieces move. From chapters 3 to 7 you will discover the different strategies used for each of

the playing pieces. Just reading these chapters alone will already make you a much better chess player. Chapter 8 teaches you more on opening strategy and how to make the first moves.

Chapter 9 focuses on different opening variations and shows which ones is good to implement and which ones you should avoid. From here on out you will learn some of the most often used middlegame strategies, elementary checkmate tactics, endgame tactics, etc.

Teach Yourself Visually Chess by Jon Edwards is my all time favorite book because most of what I’ve learned as a chess player stem from the teachings of this book. It is a solid introduction to the game of chess and a real treasure to anyone’s library.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1727041472020130/k2311a0427/4.27.11