Sewing Pattern Butterick 5600 (B5600)  » Other  »
  • My mom has graciously gifted me with plenty of various robes and dresses specifically for lounging, and when I was on my shopping spree at Butterick I found a dress pattern that was designed for ready-to-wear
  • However, it was a great learning experience and I now have multiple lounge dresses from this pattern thanks to my fabric dyeing skills
  • Overall, I enjoyed sewing the Butterick 5600 (B5600) option B because it made me test some of my newfound sewing techniques
  • I would recommend Butterick 5600 (B5600) because the sewing pattern is versatile with other fabrics besides the ones suggested and there are many options in which you can sew fabulous dresses

• by C.Channing

Lounging around the house on the weekends when there are no major events scheduled in town is one of my favorite pastimes especially when sewing is involved. My mom has graciously gifted me with plenty of various robes and dresses specifically for lounging, and when I was on my shopping spree at Butterick I found a dress pattern that was designed for ready-to-wear. However, I saw that it had the potential to be another lounging dress for me to wear on the weekends.

The pattern I purchased was the Butterick 5600 (B5600), and it had three dresses in which I could sew. I purchased the AA envelope for this pattern and I cut the size six for myself. Because dress

“A” and “C” didn’t seem like lounge dress patterns, I went with dress option “B” because it was more versatile than the other two options. Also, a lot of my current lounge wear have the same pattern style which is another reason I chose to go with option “B”.

The majority of my notions consisted of elastics and buttons which I split my purchases between the sewing center at my local Wal-Mart and Joann Fabrics. I purchased my buttons from Joann’s because they had a better selection of size and color which went perfectly with my dress because the fabric was white terry cloth from Trim Fabric.

Luckily I have an unlimited supply of muslin fabric because I had to ...

• use it for my trial runs which ended when I got everything right with my fifth dress. Although the pattern level says easy, I had a bit of a time with it because I am used to using one technique at a time when sewing and I ended up with about three or four for this project. For example, I had to sew in elastics which I had never done before this particular sewing pattern. I also had to do some gathering which was a technique new to me.

Because there were a lot of new techniques to me that I had to use, it took me twice as long to finish my dress because I was sewing slowly to

minimize my mistakes. However, it was a great learning experience and I now have multiple lounge dresses from this pattern thanks to my fabric dyeing skills.

Overall, I enjoyed sewing the Butterick 5600 (B5600) option “B” because it made me test some of my newfound sewing techniques. Because there were multiple sewing techniques, it took me twice as long to complete my garment; however, I learned a lot about precision and quality when it comes to sewing a garment which requires a lot of technical detail and work overall. I would recommend Butterick 5600 (B5600) because the sewing pattern is versatile with other fabrics besides the ones suggested and there are many options in which you can sew fabulous dresses.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1227041471801230/k2311a0427/4.27.11