Black and Decker Toast-R-Oven  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • After I removed it from its box I noticed that it did look rather glossy and smart but the size of the model is outrageous
  • However the biggest issue I have found with the oven is that the sides and the top get amazingly hot
  • Another, possibly dangerous problem, is that the dial timer likes to go into the never turn off section

• by AshMarie

I received the Black and Decker Toast-R-Oven as a house warming gift three months ago. I have owned and used many toaster ovens, finding their ease of use over a traditionally larger oven beneficial for snacks and I have always favored products by Black and Decker however this unit was really nothing special. After I removed it from its box I noticed that it did look rather glossy and smart but the size of the model is outrageous.

A lot of flashy wasted space that took up a large chunk of my counter top; it is easily the largest toaster oven I have owned. All this space would make a person think it could hold a large amount but

that is not the case.

Even placing the cooking rack on its lowest slot I still had to cut Texas style garlic toast in half (and in the case of loaf style garlic bread, quarters) to keep the tops from burning to a crisp from being so close to the heating. The cooking rack itself feels cheap and flimsy, it is also prone to getting “snagged” on something unseen every time it is removed and placed back.

I spent ten min trying to force it back into place. However the biggest issue I have found with the oven is that the sides and the top get amazingly hot.

Now it is a toaster oven and they do get hot, there ...

• is even a noticeable caution sign on the top, but I have never owned a toaster oven that gets hot enough to cause a nasty burn which this one can. The heat projects outward as well, it was able to melt a stack of Styrofoam cups on a stand next to it.

Another, possibly dangerous problem, is that the dial timer likes to go into the never turn off section. If you remove whatever it is you are heating before the timer runs out you have to twist the timer to the “off” position but there is no real stopper at the “off” setting, so more often than not you end up setting it past that, which strangely enough causes

the toaster to stay on indefinitely.

That kind of heat build up is asking for a fire or a costly injury. On the flip side the toaster oven cooks evenly and while I’m not a fan of the dial settings it has yet to ruin a meal for me.

The main issue with the dial is that it takes some time to lean just where the right setting is. The outside is very easy to clean and I find I much prefer using it cook fries in than my normal method of deep-frying.

While it can scare me at times with its dangerous heat management, it is not the worst product I have ever owned and it does its job well enough.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5326041471700430/k2311a0426/4.26.11