Kiehl’s Forest Rain Eau de Toilette Fragrance  » Perfume  »
  • Many of Kiehl’s musky smelling EDTs were not part of the attraction, but I thought there was something particularly “mystic” about the one called Forest Rain
  • Midway toward the fragrance’s base, I like it when it hits the crisp and fresh notes of muguets or lily of the valley
  • Now that spring is upon us, I recommend it fully

• by jhunie

I stopped by at Kiehl’s to take another tour around their roller-ball fragrance oils. Many of Kiehl’s musky smelling EDTs were not part of the attraction, but I thought there was something particularly “mystic” about the one called Forest Rain. It’s not just the poetic name of the fragrance that speaks so; there’s a barely present woody character to the scent meshed with fresh dewy notes that got me mystified. I liked it. It was my souvenir that day, like a postcard of a certain forest from the French wilderness, where muguets grow abundantly and even widely used for national celebrations. This postcard didn’t come free, of course. The smoked green bottle told everything upfront in black and white: it’s described as spicy, fresh and woodsy. Had I not sniffed the bottle, maybe the text printed upon it would sound so cliché. I must say, though, they quite got

it right.

As a forest-inspired fragrance, I anticipated to be drowned in lush greens, but Forest Rain focused on the concept of spiced woods. That’s nary a problem. In fact, I’m very fond of scents inspired from the woods, and I have a weakness for sandalwood, namely. The spice seems to come from musk or an herbaceous odor as it wells up, and the fresh floral notes soften it, so it doesn’t turn out smelling like a forest from the oriental side of the world. I also think that signature Kiehl’s musk and whatever spice it has altogether give the woodsy fragrance its cologne, or somewhat soapy, quality.

For an eau de toilette, I was enamored there’s actually a wealth of scents going on in this fragrance, most of them evident right after spraying, and not just the sterile scent of alcohol assaulting my nose. Midway toward the fragrance’s base, I like it when ...

• it hits the crisp and fresh notes of muguets or lily of the valley. Amid the smell of woods, it kind of becomes ethereal. I realized this was the mysticism that caught my curiosity at the start. The floral heart of forest rain adds vitality to the scent, so you’re not strayed into the wilderness smelling dead woods, nor a garden filled with the overwhelming scent of flowers.

If there’s one thing I could change, I’d probably leave the vetiver aside. This takes me back to the scent of Hermes pamplemousse rose, in which I likened vetiver as something tantamount to lemongrass. Well they come from the same grassy family, and vetiver in here spoils the fragrant florals. This herbaceous odor also gets more and more defined as the scent ages. The dewy freshness doesn’t linger much upon skin, and the scent reaches a drier phase. The pay-off, however, is

its long staying power. It lasts longer than my other perfumes, really.

Overall, I get that Forest Rain is a sporty, spring-time fragrance. Take note, though, it is a unisex fragrance. And unisex scents to me always end up smelling masculine. The strong musk is well defined, here, and decidedly masculine. I’m not just stating this arbitrarily; my sisters concede to that opinion. I suppose men would be most comfortable wearing this kind of fragrance by any means. The “chypre” formula may smell very sexy for women, but it’s shaded by the scent of woods, musk, and notably vetiver. It’s not balanced. To put it mildly, I suppose many women intimidated by floral perfumes would find this a blessing.

Now that spring is upon us, I recommend it fully. The price is okay at 36 dollars. For me personally, it’s got to be my theme fragrance of the season.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5626041471610430/k2311a0426/4.26.11