Bactrim RX Tablets  » Medicine  »
0.5
  • When I first saw the pills I thought that there was no way I would be able to swallow those horse pills
  • So, I believe it to be a strong medicine that can really help clear away a UTI
  • But, I will never take it again because for that one day, I felt like I was going to die and it wasn't a very fun experience

• by WendyBird

When I had my first UTI, my doctor prescribed me Bactrim which is a really strong sulfa drug used to treat various infections. It works on pneumonia, ear infections, and urinary tract infections like I had.

When I first saw the pills I thought that there was no way I would be able to swallow those horse pills. They are really big, and it took a lot to get it down, for me, but I have trouble with large pills. The directions asked me to drink plenty of water with it, at least 8 ounces, so I drank that and then some. I was supposed to take it twice a day for 7 days to treat my UTI. Also I had to eat with

it, so I would not get an upset stomach. Since I am sensitive to most medicines I have taken, I did not want to get one of the more common side effects of nausea or vomiting. Eating would have prevented that, and it did seem to because I never felt nauseous.

I took one of the pills in the morning and was getting ready to go to the circus because I had bought tickets in advance. About an hour after I had taken my first pill, I started sweating and turning pale even though it was still winter and cool out. I had trouble concentrating, and I thought it might be tied to my blood glucose since I am hypoglycemic, but a quick check with my monitor showed that ...

• my glucose was normal. Maybe 20 minutes later, I started to have trouble breathing because I had started to feel really anxious. I recognized it as the beginnings of a panic attack, and at this point I was already at the circus (am glad I was a passenger and did not drive myself) waiting for the show to start. I ended up having a 4 hour full blown panic attack. Eventually, the medicine started to weaken and leave my system and I started to feel more normal. But, it was a nightmare, all from one pill.

I talked to my doctor and he mentioned that people who are allergic to sulfa drugs can have a reaction like that, some have it worse, and he made a note in

my file that I have an allergy to Bactrim and other sulfa drugs. Since I only took one pill, I cannot say if it would have cured my UTI, but I absolutely can say that after taking the one pill, the pain in my abdomen was gone. So, I believe it to be a strong medicine that can really help clear away a UTI. I was amazed that it relieved my pain, and I would have loved to have been able to continue the medicine because I bet I would have cured me in fewer days than any other drug I’ve taken for it. But, I will never take it again because for that one day, I felt like I was going to die and it wasn’t a very fun experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2626041471490330/k2311a0426/4.26.11