TIGI Bed Head Superstar Sulfate-Free Shampoo 8.45  » Health  »
  • When I learned about sulfates dulling hair color and also possibly having some negative health effects, I started looking into using sulfate free shampoos more often
  • I love it– but I am a fragrance fanatic
  • When I used it, I found myself using only slightly more of the product, whereas with other natural brands, I would end up using far too much because of the lack of foam
  • Over all, I think it is a nice product and a good compromise for those of us who like our lather but would prefer it not come with a high price

• by reviewabit

When I learned about sulfates dulling hair color and also possibly having some negative health effects, I started looking into using sulfate free shampoos more often. I ended up using both sulfate free/ natural products and mainstream ones when I needed to feel my hair was cleaner, because most of the sulfate free shampoos did not seem to clean as well. Sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate is a detergent that helps to create all the rich fluffy lather that we are accustomed to seeing with most shampoos.

It took awhile before I finally got around to trying this TIGI sulfate free shampoo, because I had gotten into the “all or nothing” habit of using either all-chemicals-go formulas

in the mainstream market, or completely innocent, natural, chemical free products offered in the natural and organic market. This product is a hybrid of those two, and I have found it to be a pretty good compromise.

While this shampoo does not have sulfates, it does have other chemicals that clean, and it has a few natural oils added as well, although I doubt they really have high function in the formula. “Superstar” shampoo has a potent strawberry fragrance that will last in your hair for hours.

You will either love it, or hate it. I love it– but I am a fragrance fanatic.

It does not really smell like natural strawberry. It would have to go ...

• into the fake category, like a strawberry Kool Aid or candy smell.

Still, it is pleasant. This shampoo sets itself aside from other sulfate free ones, because it does actually create a lather worth mentioning.

It’s not as much as the SLS loaded products, but it is enough that you feel you are getting a good shampoo if you happen to need the suds to feel this way. When I used it, I found myself using only slightly more of the product, whereas with other natural brands, I would end up using far too much because of the lack of foam.

Aside from not stripping the color or endangering your skin, the performance of the

shampoo is good. It seems to add a bit of volume, although it would not be my first choice for volumizing.

My hair feels pretty clean after using it, but if I use it for a couple of weeks, I seem to need to take a break and use a clarifying shampoo at least once. This can be said for a lot of the shampoos I use, to be fair.

Over all, I think it is a nice product and a good compromise for those of us who like our lather but would prefer it not come with a high price. I will say that it seems my color looks great after using it regularly.

There may be something to that claim about the SLS fading color.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3424041470590730/k2311a0424/4.24.11