GE 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Model #: JES1140SPSS 1580 Watts  » Housewares  »
2.0
  • I have actually been late to class because I was waiting for my breakfast to heat up all the way through and it took longer than it should have (I wanted my breakfast badly enough to wait for it)
  • As for its death wish for me, I cannot make anything in it without it knocking something over or trying to blow something up (sometimes my fault, but not usually)

• by Alanna Rosewood

I swear this microwave is out to get me. I usually like GE appliances and the microwave itself is alright, but nothing spectacular. I expected it to be a little too small, but it is actually a good size for a dorm room. It turned out to be the perfect size to sit on the top of my mini fridge, which helps keep appliances from cluttering up the room unnecessarily.

What I do not understand is why it takes so long to heat things. It is a 1580 Watt microwave, which is not the

most powerful on the market, but is certainly not a weakling. It takes almost twice as long for me to heat things up in this microwave as the one I have at home. It actually takes less time to brew a pot of tea in my coffee pot than it would take for this microwave to heat up water to make tea. I tried making pizza rolls and it took at least eight minutes (it is supposed to take 3 ½). This is just not a great microwave for people who are constantly on the move and do not have much time to spare (i.e. me). I have actually been late to class because I was waiting for my breakfast to heat up all the way through and it took longer than it should have (I wanted my breakfast badly enough to wait for it). It ultimately does the job it was made for; it just takes its sweet time doing it. In fact, it just took me seven minutes to make a bowl of ramen noodles (normal time four minutes).

As for its death wish for me,

• GE 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Model #: JES1140SPSS 1580 Watts
      I cannot make anything in it without it knocking something over or trying to blow something up (sometimes my fault, but not usually). The tray bumps and catches a lot, so whenever I make soup cups to go they fall over and spill. I was once making a cup of chicken noodle soup and after thirty seconds I heard a huge thump and then a smaller bump and I turned around to find chicken noodle soup oozing out the bottom of the microwave door. I nearly had a heart attack; it sounded like it
      had blown something up. The microwave plate had literally launched my cup into the air and flipped it over. I have no idea how it managed it, but it has happened several times. I immediately turned it off and started to clean it up, but it made a complete mess all over the microwave. I am now scared to use it for anything not on plates or in really flat bowls. If the tray didn’t knock things around so badly I would not mind this microwave at all. Overall, it would not be my top pick for a microwave.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5324041470320630/k2311a0424/4.24.11