Zoom 3095 USB Mini External Modem  » Computers  »
  • I've heard this is a common problem with this external modem
  • I love it because it is pretty small and not clunky and in the way

• by WendyBird

There are certain times when I need to use a modem to connect to the internet or to send faxes, and with the majority of laptops out there now, they have none. My laptop has no modem, so I needed to buy an external one, only one that was compatible with Windows 7. I ended up buying a Zoom 3095 USB Mini External Modem for $50 at Best Buy, though they can also be found online.

It looks like a black rectangular tube with a modem port on one end. The other end has a short wire with a USB hub attachment. The face is sleek and shiny, and it contains two clear, small insets which will light up when the external modem is in use. It plugs into a computer’s USB 2.0 port, and the phone line plugs into the other end. Using traditional dial-up, this 56k modem will get speeds

at my home up to 44 kbps which is about average because I got the same using an internal modem on my old desktop.

It comes with an installation disk and instructions that are so super easy to follow, that a small child could do it. Every minute detail is covered in the instructions. But, the thing is, I didn’t even need them because this was “plug and play” for me. As soon as I plugged it in, it was ready to go. It is Windows 7 compatible, but it doesn’t work so well with Vista. (It works fine with XP). (These can also be used for Macs)

It has some software that will allow call waiting calls to be put through when I am on the internet, but, it just does not work. I have tinkered around with it, and though I have call waiting, a box will not pop up and ...

• ask me if I want to get offline like it is supposed to. I’ve called the house with a cell, and nothing. It just keeps me online with no mention of the call. I’ve heard this is a common problem with this external modem. It will, however, pop up a box and let me know that a fax is coming through. Sending of faxes is a silent process, but a little alert when the box pops up lets me know one is about to come through, if I am away from the computer. It also has a trial of fax software that I would advise anyone to shy away from. I have my own so it is no big deal.

I love it because it is pretty small and not clunky and in the way. It just dangles off to the side of my laptop as I am working, and it’s

compact enough to fit into any pouch or pocket in a laptop carry case, so I can carry it with me wherever I go if need be. It also lasts a long time. I’ve had mine for a year now and it has no issues whatsoever. I use it almost daily and it connects just fine (it has no speakers, but it does use my computer’s speakers to make the annoying dial-up noise), and sometimes speeds are closer to 56k, sometimes they are not. It all depends on what kind of weather and cloud coverage my area is having that day. If it rains really hard, forget about it.

But, this is an essential tool if needing a modem and not having one, like my situation was. It is well worth the money, and if anything does happen to mine, I will immediately go out and purchase another. It’s just that good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1924041470020630/k2311a0424/4.24.11