Avalon Organics Therapeutic Clarifying Lemon Shampoo 11 oz  » Health  »
  • I like to use the clarifying shampoo every couple of weeks or so, and since most of them I have used are detergent based, I decided to try this one by Avalon Organics which is made without the detergents like sodium lauryl or laureth sulfates
  • I think it s a nice summer scent, but my partner was not impressed at all– saying that it smelled and performed like dish detergent
  • I think it probably did the job of getting the build up out
  • I am a bit disappointed that it didn’t work out

• by reviewabit

I sometimes need a clarifying shampoo because I have thin hair and tend to use a lot of various products to volumize it. I also have very dry ends, which means the extra conditioners and serums I use for that can build up and weight down my hair. It is a constant battle! I like to use the clarifying shampoo every couple of weeks or so, and since most of them I have used are detergent based, I decided to try this one by Avalon Organics which is made without the detergents like sodium lauryl or laureth sulfates.

These are the chemicals that produce all the fluffy lather, but they can also cause some problems

for some folks, and generally, the fewer chemicals you expose yourself to, the better. This formula looked promising, since it contains shea butter– something that is generally used to moisturize, not clarify.

It is hard to understand how it can remove the buildup of other conditioners and yet supply softness. The lemon formula also promised to restore shine and fullness.

The first time I used it, it made my mouth water, which is pretty funny– and a testament to its natural lemon-ness. When I smell a fresh cut lemon, my mouth waters.

I have always been this way. Normally, lemon scents from soaps, cleaners, or candy doesn’t produce this effect.

...

• This shampoo sure did! It smells great, if you like lemon. I think it s a nice summer scent, but my partner was not impressed at all– saying that it smelled and performed like dish detergent.

I assure you it is a far cry from dish detergent, but I do see the point. Although it is detergent free, this shampoo somehow managed to dry out my hair.

This is not so unusual for a clarifying brand, but I did not expect it from a detergent-free clarifying brand. After using it, although my hair was soft and not tangled, it was a bit frizzy.

It did seem to restore

some volume, to be fair. I think it probably did the job of getting the build up out.

Over all, I think it performed well, although others in the house who used it claimed it just made their head dry. I suppose in the end, I will probably stick to the other brands I have used, since this one didn’t really give me the look or texture I wanted when the others do, for the most part.

I am a bit disappointed that it didn’t work out. I finally had to admit that I did think of dish detergent every time I used it, after that thought was planted in my head!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3421041469640330/k2311a0421/4.21.11