Movie: The Producers (1968)  » Movies  »
  • I love how they go out of their way to pick a sure-fire flop (entitled Springtime for Hitler) and even hand pick everyone in an effort to make the musical much worse so it will close in one day only to have things backfire when the musical becomes an instant hit and leaving them on the hook for more money than they could pay
  • In my opinion, Wilder is the one that carries this movie (along with Lee Meredith as the dual's secretary)
  • I think one of the biggest flaws in this movie is the fact Mostel's character is supposed to be a veteran producer

• by Review Vigilante

Synopsis: Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel star as a producer and his accountant in this Mel Brook’s directed movie. Realizing that they can make more money by producing a flop, they scam women out of their money by offering them up to 100 percent of the profits then seek the worst play ever and cast the worst director and actors ever.

What I liked about this movie: The film is a little dated.

But, I thing Wilder and Mostel are much better than the cast

in the re-make that was made a couple years ago.

I love how they go out of their way to pick a sure-fire flop (entitled Springtime for Hitler) and even hand pick everyone in an effort to make the musical much worse so it will close in one day only to have things backfire when the musical becomes an instant hit and leaving them on the hook for more money than they could pay.

In my opinion, Wilder is the one that carries this movie ...

• (along with Lee Meredith as the dual’s secretary).

I love how his character is very intelligent but has a bit of an insane side too (he still has his baby blanket).

It’s a role I just can’t see anyone but Wilder pull off.

What I didn’t like about this movie: I think one of the biggest flaws in this movie is the fact Mostel’s character is supposed to be a veteran producer.

You would think, because of that, he would have watched enough of the

play to realize it wasn’t as bad as they thought it was going to be.

Plus that part where they try to blow up the theater is kind of dumb.

I would think, if they are trying to hide their fraud, they would make more of an effort to keep it from being so obvious.

My Final Opinion: This is a classic movie/musical.

If you haven’t seen it and have only watched the re-make, I think you should take the time to rent this.

It’s one of Mel Brooks’ best films.

Andrew Leaither says :

The Producers sound like an interesting movie. I not believe that it made in 1968. I don’t like movies made so far back, but it’s fairly interesting and sounds good fun it still has appeal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120041468780330/k2311a0420/4.20.11