Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, IL  » Travel  »
South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL
  • The ice cream is expensive but the experience is worth it
  • I suppose it could be interesting, but when I was young, it terrified me
  • Definitely not good for easily-frightened children, unless they really love trains
  • If you're willing to pay the extra price, I also recommend seeing a movie in their special theater

• by m_061793

I live in the Chicago area, so I have taken trips to the Museum of Science and Industry numerous times in my life. It is one of my very favorite museums, and believe me, I have been to many! Unlike the Field Museum in Chicago, for instance, the exhibits are always the perfect length and never drag on and on. They are also extremely engaging for people of every age.

It’s

fun to see all ages from three to ninety enjoying the same experiences. A few must-sees: 1) The replica street from the early 20th century.

There is a booth for taking historical pictures with costumes, a movie theater which shows silent films, and (my favorite) an old-fashioned ice cream parlor! The ice cream is expensive but the experience is worth it. 2) The genetics exhibit.

This is especially good for little children because there are hatching chicks. The actual learning of this part is good for adults, but don’t expect children to listen so much.

3) The inventions of the future area. There are tons of cool things relating to future and current innovations, like a dress made out of LED lights.

It’s also somewhat interactive, so it’s also good for kids. The only thing I don’t love is the Zephyr ...

• Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, IL
      train, near the entrance.

I suppose it could be interesting, but when I was young, it terrified me! They have a hologram presenting the information, and he’s supposed to represent a ghost. Definitely not good for easily-frightened children, unless they really love trains.

If you’re willing to pay the extra price, I also recommend seeing a movie in their special theater. I have seen the ocean one twice, and it’s very

educational while also interesting.

As for food in the museum, there is a cafeteria area, which has numerous types of foods like a grill area, sandwiches, soups, and more. It’s pretty good food, a little expensive, but that’s to be expected.

Overall, I highly suggest this museum if you can swing the admission price, and if you have plenty of time to explore! You can’t get the experience in just a couple hours.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3820041468710330/k2311a0420/4.20.11