Nokia C1-01 phone  » Phones  »
2.5
  • I bought this phone to “level-up” from my Nokia 2330 that I lost last Christmas 2010
  • I thought this was a manufacturing defect, but when I tried to return it and tested 2 other units from the same store, the same thing happened
  • I think the interference gets through from the headset or the jack, because there’s no humming if I unplug it
  • No humming at all and the sales people wouldn’t replace it because of an unproven problem

• by Delonix Regia

I bought this phone to “level-up” from my Nokia 2330 that I lost last Christmas 2010. I needed a simple camera phone that wasn’t too pricey, but would still perform well in terms of texting, taking photos, and Bluetooth capabilities.

When I read the specs online, it had 2 major advantages over my old Nokia 2330 that I can tell: it can zoom while taking a video and you can expand its memory with a micro SD card. I really didn’t care too much about surfing the net because I already have internet in my room.

What I was extremely frustrated about, however, are that

1. You cannot save draft messages. Send it now or forget it. Or send it to yourself and edit it later.

2. You cannot attach graphics and wallpapers, only the pictures you took and the videos. I haven’t tried to attach voice recordings.

3. You can only make a new folder in the SD card

4. The folder system is not very friendly or navigable; you really have to dig deep. Your files are in the applications menu.

5. Whenever I get a flash message

and I click on “Read” or even “Exit,” my phone reboots. Thank goodness it does not reboot to factory settings or I’d have to customize my phone every single time I get a notification that I have a voice message.

I thought this was a manufacturing defect, but when I tried to return it and tested 2 other units from the same store, the same thing happened. Then I discovered that I have to quickly press the power button once to get rid of the flash screen. Just a tap, not long enough to power off.

6. If you’re in a one bar signal location and you’re using a headset, it emits a loud buzz that only the person on the other end of the line can hear. I dialled my other phone from my room and then I answered it from outside the house to know what it sounded like. It was really annoying. This buzzing never happened in my old Nokia 2330 with the headset and I’ve been calling from the same one bar signal location: my room.

I think the ...

• interference gets through from the headset or the jack, because there’s no humming if I unplug it. I couldn’t have it replaced, however, because at the mall where I bought it, where the signal is up to four bars, the reception was crystal clear and clean. No humming at all and the sales people wouldn’t replace it because of an unproven problem.

7. The games are really.. ugh. I’d give it a negative 3 rating if it were possible. They put the snake on a macro lens to try and dazzle you with eye-candy graphics. Imagine playing the snake with just the head and you can’t see the body or the entire field. (What the…?). The whole thing can only be seen in an itsy bitsy microscopic screen shot at the bottom with the entire snake just about as thick as a single eyelash. It’s guaranteed to level up the range of your eyeglasses. And Snowboarding? Disco? Puhleeease.

Okay, now for the good stuff. As I said, I liked that

1. You can zoom while taking a video, unlike in the Nokia 2330.

2. It

has a big expandable memory.

3. You can archive messages

4. It’s not that expensive, compared to other camera phones

5. Texting is not excruciatingly slow, like other low end phones where the screen is still displaying your letters one by one long after you have finished entering text from a non-qwerty keypad.

6. The fact that no matter how disappointing the unit may be, I am reassured that I can get parts and services anywhere because it is still a Nokia.

Would I buy this unit again? Nope. The no-draft message feature is already a major turn off by itself, and the irritatingly loud humming (when I use the headset in a low signal location) is too much of a nuisance for the person on the other end. This is also a huge inconvenience for me to not use the head set because I do not want to make my listener’s ears bleed from the noise.

Perhaps if I had lived in an area where the signal strength is high enough to overpower the interference, then maybe I would buy this product again. But then again, maybe not.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3719041467930630/k2311a0419/4.19.11