Nichido Extra Waterproof, Protective Eye Pencil in Brown
  • With my tricks, I like my brows’ balanced shape
  • I think its sensible why they labeled it so if it works for that, yet they forgot to indicate this is actually an eyebrow pencil
  • However, I noticed it leaks especially if I use it along the lower lash line
  • For the cheap price (a dollar and a half or 60 php) I paid for it, I believe that still translates on the packaging
  • This, I find to be considerably tedious and a disadvantage to the product

• by jhunie

One of the random purchases I spent recently on a brow product for less, the Nichido waterproof protective eye pencil. With its unassuming price, this is pretty well-made for its quality. The pencil is very smooth and creamy. I would pay royalties for a brow pencil with this kind of texture and ease. But it was way better that I did not. The old brow pencils I’ve stashed were now unusable and chalky. This I got in brown. The mocha shade is very deep and dark, and I liked that it’s not showing any red tones. It doesn’t stick out of my pale skin and black hair. It works for filling in sparse brows.

As my standard advice: you must not overdo it, lest brows will look quite “penciled.” I particularly hate hedgerow-esque brows. That dramatically gives a heavy look to my eyes, and the stubby size of the pencil’s tip makes that chance very likely. In as much as I long for my sparse brows to grow,

I can never change its curve-less shape. But the brow pencil lets me tweak it somehow. I admit to like brow powders for this matter. It’s easy to spread the pigments up to the arch (mid-section of the brows). The pencil could appear very obvious if I go out of the normal course or shape of the brows. My technique is to thin out a line going down to the arch’s tail (the farthest end of the brow). The descending line I barely draw with the least force using the pencil; I simply give it slight, short strokes and smudge it all the way down with my pinky finger. With my tricks, I like my brows’ balanced shape.

I have this mannerism of touching my brow absent-mindedly. I saw my brows faded slightly, so it probably rubbed off. Strangely though, it didn’t smear. I reached the 6th hour, and, by then, my brows retained its neat and groomed appearance. There was no smudging. Being waterproof, my oiliest zone ...

• happens to be the forehead, and my brows, which forms the border, stays smudge-proof; I think its sensible why they labeled it so if it works for that, yet they forgot to indicate this is actually an eyebrow pencil. The name of the product is very misleading. It’s called “eye pencil” when it’s not an eyeliner. The cue for me was the spooly brush. Why would they make an eye pencil or eyeliner with a spooly brush? The point is: the pencil is waterproof, and I’m pleased to say it wears a long time.

This may sound irrelevant and implausible, but I’ve actually tried using the pencil to tight-line my eyes, just like an eyeliner. And it’s great. Even though I mentioned the pencil is not tapered to draw thin lines, I broke that myth that eyeliners need to be hazardously sharp at the tip (applies only for tight-lining). The blunt tip of this pencil goes very smoothly, because of its super creamy texture. And I’m surprised how easy it was.

I realized I don’t require sharp-tipped eyeliners. I’m not afraid of poking my eyeball with it too. I just rim a line below the lash line (not over the eyelid), and the pencil exactly creates the same result as the real eyeliner I’m using, though easier. However, I noticed it leaks especially if I use it along the lower lash line. I only use it to tight-line my upper lash line, underneath my mascara.

For the cheap price (a dollar and a half or 60 php) I paid for it, I believe that still translates on the packaging. I first guessed it was retractable, like the rest. It turned out to be literally a pencil, which required sharpening then and now. This, I find to be considerably tedious and a disadvantage to the product. It seems made of synthetic material, maybe plastic. It slips out of the sharpener’s blade, making it difficult. All that is forgivable in light of its value and accessible price. Hence, it’s very much recommendable for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3118041466830130/k2311a0418/4.18.11