Zicam Cold Remedy  » Medicine  »
  • However, I have been told that people with blood pressure issues should not take it because of all the zinc

• by sjwilla
      Zicam is a type of cold medicine and is labeled as being homeopathic, but don’t let that put you off. (In case you don’t know, homeopathy is a very controversial medical theory based on treating illness with medicine which produce the illness’ symptoms in healthy people. You now know everything about homeopathy that I do.

) Whether Zicam is truly homeopathic or not is basically irrelevant, but it works. I have no idea how it works and I really don’t care.

Zicam’s active ingredients are listed as follows: Zincum Gluconicum 1X &

Zincum Aceticum 2X (from the chewable squares package). So, basically it’s two forms of Zinc.

What does Zinc have to do with a cold? Don’t know, don’t care. I have taken Zicam several times.

The first time I tried it, I was in day two of a miserable cold - my nose was stuffed up, I was coughing, and I had a sore throat. I was whining to my mother and she told me, as she always does, to go get some medicine and mentioned Zicam.

(I swear this ...

• happened, even though she told me latter that she had never heard of it. Whatever, crazy lady.

) Anyway, I got it and about thirty minutes to an hour after I took the first dose, I started to fill better. The other times I have taken it, it was at the first sign I was getting a cold.

And - the cold went away. (Or, possibly I wasn’t really getting sick.

) According to the packaging, Zicam has no known drug interactions. However, I have been told that people with blood pressure

issues should not take it because of all the zinc.

I don’t know. If it is not obvious to you that I am not a trained medical professional then let me say it straight out - I am not a doctor, nor a nurse, nor an EMT, nor anyone with any kind of medical training beyond basic first aid, most of which I have forgotten.

Also, the Internet should not be your only, nor your first, source of information about your health. However, as a person and a single data point, Zicam is the bomb.

Zicam Cold Remedy
    KHeiland says :

Can other cold medications be taken with Zicam for a headache? Or only something like Tylenol be taken with it?

Jennifer Davis says :

Because many cold medicines already include Tylenol for cold related headaches, I would suggest waiting for about an hour or so after taking the Zicam to take anything else. This will allow your body time to process the two ingredients separately without running the risk of making you sick or risking any nasty side effects.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26704146570730/k2311a047/4.7.07