Optiz Acqua 5000 Camera
  • I bought it on eBay sometime last spring and have been using it during all our water-filled excursions since then
  • There are not a lot of reviews for this camera so I will share my experience and thoughts on it
  • It also runs on 3 AAA batteries easily found almost in all convenient stores
  • Even though the camera only cost $45 when I bought from a seller on eBay, it actually delivered on almost all its features
  • Because of the microphone issue and the lack of speaker on this camera, I would rate it a 7

• by squarebomb

This is a review of the Optiz Acqua 5000 Waterproof digital camera. I bought it on eBay sometime last spring and have been using it during all our water-filled excursions since then. There are not a lot of reviews for this camera so I will share my experience and thoughts on it.

There aren’t a lot of info about this camera on the internet so I want to mention a few of them on this review. For a camera in this price range, it’s nice to see that it has face detection; which is usually found on higher end cameras. It also has a total of 12MP resolution via interpolation. Because it has a fixed focus lens, it has to settle with a 5X digital zoom. The LCD screen is 2.7 inches; decent for this type of camera. It also runs on 3 AAA batteries easily found almost in all convenient stores. That said, for $45, you can’t go wrong. Even if it breaks after

a year, I feel that I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

Even though the camera only cost $45 when I bought from a seller on eBay, it actually delivered on almost all its features. It works as a digital camera and took 5mp pictures equal or better than most 5mp camera phones in the market today. It has a fixed focus lens but the pictures always come out focused and clean. Although, I would have like it to have an auto-focus for taking close-ups. The camera looks like a knockoff of one of the FujiFilm cameras but you will never mistake it as one because unlike the FujiFilm cameras, this has a really cheap plastic feel to it. For $45, that’s what I expected so it’s really a moot point. It is, however, a true waterproof camera. We have taken this to water parks, the beach, outside in the rain, and have taken pictures and videos at many pool parties. Underwater pictures always came out clear. There ...

• are some settings you can use for taking pictures underwater but I never had to use it as the pictures always come out fine. The videos are SVGA quality and plays fine on computers. Playing them on TV gives a somewhat granular appearance but not to a point where it becomes annoying or unwatchable. Face detection works and is on par with my Sony TX-7, a camera that is worth more than 4 times the Optiz. It picks up peoples faces almost instantly. I mentioned earlier that the camera has a 12MP max resolution via interpolation. Although this sounds good on paper, the resulting image looks more digitized that what I like so I usually just stick to taking 5MP pictures. Same with the 5x digital zoom. To me, the pictures start to look blurry when using digital zoom. I don’t use it much but it’s nice to know that you can at least zoom in to something if the need arises. The 2.7″
        LCD screen is nice to have and makes it very easy to review the photos and videos taken.

One thing I’d like to mention though, which is perhaps the biggest thing that bothers me about the Optiz Acqua 5000 camera, is that the microphone stops working once the camera goes under water. The recorded sound in the video becomes garbled. This only lasts until the microphone dries up. So the camera is waterproof except for the microphone. The other thing missing from this camera is a speaker. You can record the videos but you won’t be able to hear the sound until you download the videos on your computer.

Because of the microphone issue and the lack of speaker on this camera, I would rate it a 7. But even then, for the price, I wouldn’t hesitate recommending it to people looking for a great deal on a waterproof digital camera. The only catch is trying to find them on eBay as they seem to disappear from

Jerry Messer says :

I have picked up a used optiz 5000 and do not have a manual for it. I have searched the web with no luck Do you have any suggestions for obtaining a copy of the manual. Thank You

John says :

Jerry, if the manual is not available online, I usually contact the manufacturer directly. They can certainly mail you a copy. However, there may or may not be a charge.

Jerry Messer says :

I recently obtained a used Optiz waterproof camera and do not have a manual for it and can`t find one on the internet. Does anyone have an idea where one could be located. Thank You Jerry M

squarebomb replies :

Jerry - Sorry, I don`t have the manual anymore. I tried looking for the seller on eBay but he no longer exists. The menu system is pretty straightforward. The marking on my buttons are starting to wear out so I took a picture of it before the markings completely disappear. Let me know if you have specific questions about one of the camera`s functions once you get to the menu system.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4312041463390430/k2311a0412/4.12.11