How to grow strawberries into a small buisness  » Business  »
  • Growing strawberries is one of the easiest I know of to get started with and that doesn't require much capital
  • Then I bought six boxes that had five pounds of miracle grow that cost 15.35 each and one of the feeders you screw onto the end of your hose that cost 9.00 which will allow you to fertilizer the strawberries every two or three weeks during the picking season and once before they bloom to get them to produce large juicy berries

• by sadonna
      Most of us want to be our own boss. We would like a business with low capital and easy to get started. Growing strawberries is one of the easiest I know of to get started with and that doesn’t require much capital. For $56.00 you can get 200 plants to start with. Then I bought six boxes that had five pounds of miracle grow that cost 15.35 each and one of the feeders you screw onto the end of your hose that cost 9.00 which will allow you to fertilizer the strawberries every two or three weeks during the picking season and once before they bloom to get them to produce large juicy berries.

I also bought four bales of straw costing 4.00 each to mulch the strawberries allowing for a cleaner and larger crop. Then

I bought containers to sell my strawberries in which cost me 175.00 for 1200 containers. So my total initial investment was 357.10. That’s assuming of course you have a strong back or a tiller, a shovel and rake already to make the raised beds to plant them in. I picked off the blooms the first year to allow them get stronger roots so I did not get any fruit until the second year but then I had approximately 800 plants because of all the runners they produced.

I yielded about 800 pounds of fresh strawberries the second year and when I sold them for 1.50 a pound I made $1200.00 which after expenses meant I made 842.90. Then I calculated that I spent 477 hours working on weeding and picking strawberries which meant I only ...

• made $1.76 per hour for labor. However by the third year I had approximately 3200 plants which is enough to plant a half acre of land. I figured out that I was able to pick about 4000 pounds of strawberries from my plants this year. I charged the same as last year $1.50 a pound so I yielded about $6000.00 then after purchasing eight new bales of straw that cost $4.00 each and six more boxes of fertilizer at 15.35 each and I purchased 3600 more containers that cost me 525.00 that brought my expenses to $649.10 because I did not have to buy any new plants which means this year I made $5350.90

Then I figured I spent 633 hours in the garden which meant I earned about $8.45 per hour. So as you

can see each year my expenses go up slightly but my profit for labor also goes up dramatically. You can also spend a lot less of your own labor in the garden by hiring teenagers to pick the strawberries for you. Most of my kids will pick them for twenty five cents per pound. I usually spend 168 hours picking strawberries if I do it myself. So then when I figure on letting the kids pick the strawberries I make 5000.00 from the strawberries after their pay. Then if I deduct my expenses I make $4350.90 which makes my 365 hours of weeding work worth $11.90 an hour to me. So with some work and some common sense you can make a good profit growing strawberries with just a couple of hundred dollars and a half acre of land too.

Amelia says :

Awesome article - to the point, straight information. Thanks

gene starcher says :

what is the yield per acre in pints about?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41604146300130/k2311a046/4.6.07