Clarins Prevention Plus Multi Active Night Cream  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • Good cream, but oh so expensive and as a result, in my opinion not worth it
  • The Clarins Prevention Plus Multi Active Night Cream comes in a heavy blue glass tub, and the size I think is 1.7 oz, so not a huge amount of cream
  • The cream itself has a delicious smell, as so many of the Clarins products have
  • That being said, I found that the jar of cream did not last me as long as I thought it was going to
  • I just do not feel that I can justify the high cost of this cream any more

• by gecko

Good cream, but oh so expensive and as a result, in my opinion not worth it.

I was a loyal Clarins customer for years and loved, and to a certain extent still love their products. The Clarins Prevention Plus Multi Active Night Cream comes in a heavy blue glass tub, and the size I think is 1.7 oz, so not a huge amount of cream. The price, however, can range from about $50 to about $72 depending on where you buy it. So, for me, this places this cream into the luxury expensive category.

The cream itself has a delicious smell, as so many of the Clarins products have. I find it is the kind of smell that is relaxing and that you are breathing in more deeply as you apply it at night, and perhaps that it puts you in a better frame of mind for sleeping. The fragrance is quite hard to describe, but it is fresh and relaxing as opposed to being an invigorating smell.

The fragrance is light enough that you can detect a residual fragrance as you go to bed but it is not in any way overpowering.

The cream itself is a rich consistency, but not thick or gloopy. As you apply it to your skin, it is actually surprisingly light and absorbs quickly into your face. Also, a little of the cream goes a long way, and you do not need a huge amount to moisturize your face and neck. That being said, I found that the jar of cream did not last me as long as I thought it was going to. I am not sure if, because it is a lighter feeling cream, that perhaps I ended up using more than some of the heavier creams and therefore went through the jar more quickly.

Something I don’t particularly like, and this is not just Clarins, it is other brands as well, is the fact that the cream comes in an open tub. I always prefer a ...

• pump dispenser because I feel like I can control the amount of product that comes out more easily than scooping out cream with my finger. A pump dispenser to me makes me feel like I have more consistency in the amount I apply each time, rather than guessing each time.

Also, even though I wash my hands before using the cream, I prefer not sticking my fingers into the cream and potentially contaminating the rest of the cream in the jar. This is purely a personal preference, but I always worry about what is being left behind on the unused cream from fingers, perhaps unnecessarily worrying!

As to performance of this cream, it does a good job. I feel like it is working overnight and that my skin is softer as a result of using it. I have not had any problems of irritation, so I think this cream works well for all skin types. Also, I don’t find that it is too heavy and don’t feel like

it leaves any residue. So as far as whether the cream works, I think it does.

However, again I come back to the price. There are so many really good creams on the market for a fraction of the price that do as good if not a better job than the Clarins cream. I do feel that you are paying for the brand, not just the quality. For me, I have now switched to another much less expensive cream and am happier both with performance and the savings I am making. I just do not feel that I can justify the high cost of this cream any more.

So my bottom line is Clarins night cream gets high marks for performance but low marks for price and value for money. Where does that leave me in scoring this cream?? I guess I would give 8 out of 10 for performance but 2 out of 10 for value for money. I’ll average the two out!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 316041460860430/k2311a046/4.6.11