Max and Mary (2009 movie)  » Movies  »
  • I thought that like the plot, it was more than a little unusual because I’m so used to seeing the 3D animated films
  • Nevertheless, I would recommend “Max and Mary” to adults (not little children) who like animated films

• by Redtape

Today, I watched one of the most wonderful animated films I have ever seen. It was a clay animated Australian film called “Max and Mary”. However, let me first begin my review by saying that it is absolutely not for children, since it contains quite a bit of mature themes such as sex, suicide and it also has some amount of violence and gruesome death in it as well.

“Max and Mary” was set somewhere between the early

to mid seventies to the late to early nineties; and it takes place in both America and Australia. It is about an unusual friendship that occurs after a lonely little Australian girl from a dysfunctional family writes to a forty year old man living with Asperger’s Syndrome in America, asking him where babies come from. One of the main reasons why the friendship develops and becomes so strong is not just because of the little girl’s loneliness, but ...

• the fact that the American man had no friends and they shared several things in common.

While I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, I can say that the film was neither just plain happy nor sad; but instead there were points of it where I almost found myself cheering aloud even though I was watching it by myself, and there were other points where I could feel tears prickling in my eyes.

Another thing

that I absolutely loved about “Max and Mary” was the animation. I thought that like the plot, it was more than a little unusual because I’m so used to seeing the 3D animated films. That was also what made it so refreshing. I thought that it even had a seventies clay animation feel to it somehow, even though I can’t exactly explain how.

Nevertheless, I would recommend “Max and Mary” to adults (not little children) who like animated films.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115041460460330/k2311a045/4.5.11