E.L.F. Essentials Eyelid Primer
  • I think it’s too much to call it a premium primer for the eyelids, and the low price may reflect in certain aspects of the product
  • Once allowed to dry, it imparts a smooth texture for eye shadows to adhere upon, and I noticed that it fills the wrinkled lines too, when applied liberally across the area
  • I like the corrective tint of the primer though

• by jhunie

I’ve been dealing with persistent creasing and other issues concerning my eye shadows lately, and the whole thing gives me an afterthought whether it’s my primer that’s not doing well. And all this drags me to one thing: I must buy a new primer! I don’t know much about E.L.F. cosmetics, though their products are certainly classifiable under the category of cheap and chic thrills, judging from the good things I’ve read about them in magazines and blogs. I also don’t know if a two dollar primer merits any serious consideration, because it’s too cheap you want to just grab it and go, or that the quality is inferior. My response was to buy it immediately, as I was too scared to spend on another expensive primer and get locked into using it rather than to accept

that it’s worthless.

Well as it happened, this eyelid primer was not your piece of charity. The e.l.f. essential’s eyelid primer is not exactly underpriced for its quality. I think it’s too much to call it a premium primer for the eyelids, and the low price may reflect in certain aspects of the product. But I continue to be surprised by the consistent results I’m getting from it. I admire that it’s not spotty like the rest of them, as evidenced by the way it withstands creasing for a few more hours than my previous primer. Going back to my old primer, it was always a hard guess whether my eye shadows will not crease badly today, while in some days it doesn’t. The elf primer works best in this regard, and for me, that’s the

most important thing about a primer.

For the record, this lasts 8 hours on me on average, even as long as 10 hours. That’s already a long stretch for me – the standard working hours. It’s not resistant to creasing, but it usually follows after that given period. I have oily eye lids, and this keeps my eye shadows in place (despite the emollient texture) for a longer period, before the day’s over, and by then shall my oiliness take over and wreck havoc on my eye makeup. I find the primer is more impervious to my oily lids, but that eventually expires at the end of a long day.

I’ll rate the primer’s modest formula, at this aspect, slightly below the mark, because it’s not very comfortable to wear. It feels slick up there in my eye ...

• E.L.F. Essentials Eyelid Primer
      lids, and it seems to take a while to dry. Using this product was a giant departure from my former primer, which had a very dry consistency as to mimic the sandiness of a concealer. I’m still trying to get used to it perhaps. The primer has an emollient texture, and it helps, since it doesn’t involve a lot of tugging. The fluid tint spreads easily. Once allowed to dry, it imparts a smooth texture for eye shadows to adhere upon, and I noticed that it fills the wrinkled lines too, when applied liberally across the area.

I’m not astounded by how it affects my eye shadows. I use plenty of neutral shades for my eye makeup and the primer makes them look muddied. Yet it doesn’t totally deprive the eye shadow of brilliance.

I feel like the eye shadows set upon bare skin, or that the light neutral shades I’m using fare similarly to the primer’s tint. I like the corrective tint of the primer though; it looks like creamy beige, with less yellowish tones. The tint blended well in my lids and gave it an even coverage. I have hooded eyes, so I acknowledge very much that it opened up my eyes by brightening the area. I apply it in the same manner as I used to with my other primer; both of them come in a lipgloss-like vial which includes a doe-foot applicator. This stuff is highly recommendable. I couldn’t be more enamored for the price of 2 dollars (and a few cents more in my place). This is cheap. Yes. And great!

E.L.F. Essentials Eyelid Primer

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 315041460080330/k2311a045/4.5.11