John Carpenter’s “The Thing” (the 1982 film)  » Movies  »
  • I also enjoyed the characters and the setting
  • Apparently, Carpenter's choice to seclude the storyline at Antarctica definitely kept the focus towards the situation at hand
  • I found it interesting that Carpenter made the music for his own films as well
  • The only problem I have with the music here is that it is very similar the soundtrack of his later Price of Darkness film (which would be a con for the latter)
  • Note that the film is rated R, but personally I don't think the imagery is that serious, as long as one is prepared for it

• by Spade6179

Initially, I imagined John Carpenter’s 1982 classic “The Thing” to be an ordinary, old and spooky film. Yet, I found it intriguingly scary. I didn’t quite reach the thrill I had wanted but it was still a significant masterpiece.

I also enjoyed the characters and the setting. Both were respectable and dynamic and one can easily connect.

Apparently, Carpenter’s choice to seclude the storyline at Antarctica definitely kept the focus towards the situation at hand. Even now (2011), the computer effects seem very well engineered.

I

was tied to plotline more than anything else, however. I could foresee some things but the plot was almost in no way predictable.

In addition, though there exists some sci-fi aspects, the story is not dominated solely on scientific themes. There is only enough information to push the storyline and nothing more.

It’s funny because I’m usually a lover for scientific fantasy themes and if that were strictly the case I’d probably dislike these sorts of films. Nevertheless, it was meant to be of the horror ...

• genre.

The only notable con is the apparent lack of set funding in some cases. One example is a scene in which a number of members travel from one station to another.

I couldn’t help noticing that the two sets almost looked identical. However, I don’t want that to discourage you from watching it; the movie is set on a continent covered in nothing but snow!

The music was fine.

I found it interesting that Carpenter made the music for his own films as well. The

only problem I have with the music here is that it is very similar the soundtrack of his later “Price of Darkness” film (which would be a con for the latter).

As for the entertainment value, I’d say that it would be fun to watch with friends. I watched it by myself and still enjoyed it.

Note that the film is rated R, but personally I don’t think the imagery is that serious, as long as one is prepared for it. For the fun it was to watch it, I give this movie an 8.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114041459500230/k2311a044/4.4.11