Arrows of the Queen (book) by Mercedes Lackey  » Books  »
  • The author builds an interesting world that I felt drawn to and immersed in enough to want to re-visit it in future books
  • I definitely think the author gets better as she goes, but this first book is a decent enough stepping stone into an enjoyable series

• by Laura Gordon

This is one of the books I read shortly after becoming a fantasy fanatic, because I’d always been a horse lover and loved to read horse books, so I was trying to get my hands on ever horse-oriented fantasy book or series that I could. Arrows of the Queen is the first in a trilogy that is a sub-saga to a bigger series. Basically, the author covers

a set of characters over the course of three books and then moves on to another set but stays within the same world and setting, etc.

I did enjoy this book, but it wasn’t one of my favorites. I felt like this first volume was just a little bit slow in starting things off, although it’s not unusual or anything to use the first book to develop things and set the stage, so to speak. But I felt like it could have had a little bit more to it.

I did appreciate the setting, however, and the characters were pretty good. The author builds an interesting world that I felt drawn to and immersed in enough to want to re-visit it in future books.

The cover of the book (and its sequels’ covers as well) was also something ...

• Arrows of the Queen (book) by Mercedes Lackey
      that drew me in. The artist uses a very unrealistic but beautiful style in their art, and it just gave the book a whole different feel for me. They say you can’t judge a book by its cover, but the cover always made a difference for me. If it had a good cover, I was always more prone to enjoying the book. That sort of
      thing affects me, establishes something mental beforehand that sets the stage for the ambiance and feel of the book’s actual content. So I felt affection for these books before even starting them, which really helped establish my stance beforehand.

I definitely think the author gets better as she goes, but this first book is a decent enough stepping stone into an enjoyable series. Certainly, I would suggest checking it out!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 174041459350230/k2311a044/4.4.11