Acer Aspire 3610 Laptop  » Laptops  »
1.5
  • This laptop has 500mb RAM and a 1.50 GHz processor, all for under £400 (with free 3 year complete warranty when I bought it)
  • It has also developed a problem where it doesn’t display some colors correctly
  • I bought this laptop warrant free, and at that time I thought it was a good idea since it was cheaper than one with a warrant, but now I come to regret making that decision
  • Generally I prefer desktops to laptops, but still I find this laptop to be of very poor quality, even by the lowest standards
  • It is stored on a separate memory module such as an external drive, and I found it very useful to recover windows together with all my files and settings when my computer crashed once

• by James Amulyoto

I have been using an Acer Aspire 3610 laptop ever since November last for my university work and I must concede it’s not as good as it should be, or maybe I just have lofty standards. However, it’s not entirely bad news, so I’ll start with the good news. This laptop has 500mb RAM and a 1.50 GHz processor, all for under £400 (with free 3 year complete warranty when I bought it). Also the DVD writer works well for me, as do the USB ports and such.

When I turned it on the first time it all started up fine just as I had expected it to. However, when I tried using the keys on the keyboard, they all felt a bit cheap to me. This particular laptop was bought about a year and a half ago, and already two of the keys have come off.

It has also developed a problem where it doesn’t display some colors correctly. In addition to the two keys that have come off, several keys have also become defective; sometimes I have to press really hard for me to get a response. As you might imagine, this means that typing has become very slow, and as a result I was a little behind schedule due to the malfunctioning keyboard. Apart from that, the left mouse button on the touchpad and the touchpad itself also now work intermittently. I bought this laptop warrant free, and at that time I thought it was a good idea since it was cheaper than one with a warrant, but now I come to regret making that decision.

Generally I prefer desktops to laptops, but still I find this laptop to be of very poor quality, even by the lowest standards. Another problem I have with it is that it has a very poor battery life: I have never managed to make it last more than an hour on a single charge, even when doing light work such as word processing

The 36GB (or around there) hard disk (I’m not sure if it’s accurate or maybe it’s the laptop just giving me random numbers.) is just pathetic to be honest. After installing the operating system and most of my programs, I found that I had less than half that capacity left, which wasn’t enough considering how much data we store in this day and age. This has made me have to get an external hard drive, but the thought of having to move around with a laptop and a hard drive just isn’t appealing.

The final nail in its coffin is the speaker quality. I know that generally laptops ...

• Acer Aspire 3610 Laptop
      have poor speakers due to space constraints, but I found this to be on another level. The sound quality from it was very poor. I have used other laptops before, and though I don’t generally like their speakers, this would easily rank among the worst. It was too tinny for me, and I found that I had to either use external speakers or get earphones in order to listen to some decent music.

The features about this laptop that I liked include the Wi-Fi, which easily found and connected to local wireless networks, Bluetooth (though I’ve been having some difficulty making it work) and two USB slots. One feature that impressed me most was a system called D2D. This is a data backup system that stores all your data in case the hard drive fails. It is stored on a separate memory module such as an external

drive, and I found it very useful to recover windows together with all my files and settings when my computer crashed once.

If you are looking for a cheap laptop, then this might just be it, but keep in mind that you would be getting exactly what you pay for, maybe even less. However, if you want a good laptop, I’d say just save up and get one of the mainstream brands such as Sony or IBM. One could say that my laptops problems could be due to the fact that it’s old, but I happen to know of computers that are much older than mine and still function as they had been intended to. There’s no two ways about it; this laptop has very poor build quality and I’d not recommend one to buy it unless you’re looking for a cheap, temporary (less than a year) solution.

Acer Aspire 3610 Laptop

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 634041458650130/k2311a044/4.4.11