Augmentin (Amoxicillin/clavulanate)500-mg tablet prescription antibiotic  » Medicine  »
  • As a musician, this is something I really want to avoid for obvious reasons
  • Every infection is different, and every person’s reactions to a particular drug in a particular circumstance is different– so there is never a guarantee on an antibiotic, or anything else, but I can say that my personal experience with this one was very positive– despite the bathroom time

• by reviewabit

When I had a very painful ear and sinus infection a couple of years ago, my first round of prescribed antibiotics did not clear it up. This was worrying, since it was a pretty strong drug I was on to begin with, but my doctor said it might be resistant. Augmentin was prescribed next.

It is a combination of two substances, and is supposed to help if the bacteria is resistant to standard amoxicillin. I had suffered diarrhea with the first antibiotic, and I fully expected to suffer it again with this one.

It did not let me down. I had the diarrhea,

nausea, and even headache with this one– although it is hard to say whether the headache was due to the drug or the infection itself, to be fair.

After a couple of days, the gastric symptoms seemed to ease a bit, or my body adjusted to the drugs. I was taking pain medication as well now, since the headache and earache had gotten unbearable, and the pain medicine I was given causes constipation so the two drugs may have just cancelled each other out.

After another miserable week, finally– it almost happened over night. Within a couple of days, the earache cleared up,

• and although my head was still stuffy, the congestion was changing in its nature and getting much thicker.

This is something that in the past has signaled the start of a recovery. Happily, it was true.

I got better by leaps and bounds after what seemed like forever to suffer with an infection. My ear was left with a slight hearing loss for over a year, but that seems to have normalized.

I am glad the drug worked when it did, because I was told that if the infection got any more aggressive, I could have some permanent hearing damage. As

a musician, this is something I really want to avoid for obvious reasons!

I give Augmentin my heartfelt thanks.

However it is that it works to overcome resistant bugs, it seemed to have done a great job inside my head. I forgive it for the diarrhea and such, as it was well worth the payoff in restored health.

Every infection is different, and every person’s reactions to a particular drug in a particular circumstance is different– so there is never a guarantee on an antibiotic, or anything else, but I can say that my personal experience with this one was very positive– despite the bathroom time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261041458370730/k2311a041/4.1.11