Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) 100 mg prescription antibiotic  » Medicine  »
  • It probably started as a severe bladder infection, which was cured by one of the eleven antibiotics I was to take before seeing a specialist who diagnosed the problem properly

• by reviewabit

In my late teens, I had a bout of bladder troubles that lasted a little over eight months. It probably started as a severe bladder infection, which was cured by one of the eleven antibiotics I was to take before seeing a specialist who diagnosed the problem properly. (It was not an infection, at least not at that point. ) Among all those wonderful antibiotics that did not work was Macrobid.

When first line antibiotics didn’t seem to have any effect on my pain and symptoms, my doctor tried this drug, to be taken every twelve hours. He was so certain that it would solve my problem, even though the others had failed. I took as directed and

developed nausea and diarrhea from the very first dose.

I took it with food, so that was not the problem. The effects seemed to be somewhat tolerable, so I persisted with the medicine, hoping that it would work its magic and be worth the misery it was causing. Halfway through it, I happened to read the package insert which I requested while at work.

(I worked in a drug store so it was easy to get that info. ) I was a bit alarmed by all the side effects and warnings. This drug could cause liver and lung damage, anemia, and lots of other things that were not nice.

I made up my mind then and there that I would ...

• only give it a few more days before I called and reported it as a failure. I did just that, and the doctor persisted that maybe I had not taken it long enough– and it “might” be that I needed to take it on a long term basis to prevent and treat a chronic infection. This idea was not comfortable to me.

I did not want to take any antibiotic on a long term basis, unless it was life or death. I ended up seeing a urologist, who immediately took me off the drug, citing it as “unnecessary and dangerous. ” He believed, right from the beginning, that my problem was not an infection, and that I was being treated inappropriately.

/> He tested my urine and confirmed– not once, but twice, within a two week period, that there was no bacteria present. I underwent some tests, went on a special diet, and a different type of drug mix– that did not involve antibiotics. My pain and other symptoms was completely cured within a two month period.

I have nothing against Macrobid. Perhaps for some it cures infections that other drugs do not, but for me, I would prefer a safer option that does not have so many side effects. I am so very grateful that I was raised to think for myself– or I might have ended up on this drug indefinitely and who knows what kind of damage it would have done.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261041458360730/k2311a041/4.1.11