Nintendo 3 DS
2.0
  • For those that want a cool gaming experience, then turn the 3D intensity full up
  • For those that have sensitive eyes, you may want to turn down the 3D intensity or avoid using the 3D mode all together
  • I was not at all surprised when I found out that this package does not include a 3DS case or a gaming pouch
  • I wouldn't consider this a major problem that Nintendo needs to recall
  • I have to admit that the 3D feature is amazing

• by MisterTickle

I finally got my hands on this 3D gaming console. This is probably the only gaming console that does not require users to wear glasses when using the 3D mode. I am not a huge fan of the DS series as I already broke a DS Lite before. I find that this DS breaks very easily due to wear and tear. This goes especially for the “flipping”/ screen and pad part. However, I simply must get this DS as it is the only one with the 3D feature.

Here is an overview of the Nintendo 3DS. The 3 DS color comes in Comso Black and Aqua Blue. I got the Comso Black as it looks much better. I do not like the shade of blue used on the Aqua Blue version of the 3DS. Well, like all other DS models, there are two screens. The bottom screen is a touch screen, which is mainly used for navigation. The other screen is the game play screen where you can see the 3 D effects. You can select the intensity of the 3D feature. For those that want a cool gaming experience, then turn the 3D intensity full up. For those that have sensitive eyes, you

may want to turn down the 3D intensity or avoid using the 3D mode all together. Although this is a 3DS, it also allows users to play games in 2D. This is very useful and I will explain it more later on.

The box contains a couple of important hardware parts. These parts include the charging cord and adapter, six AR (Augmented Reality) cards, stylus, and a 2 GB SD card. This is very straight forward. I was not at all surprised when I found out that this package does not include a 3DS case or a gaming pouch. If you want to buy any of these items, you can find it on just any website under accessories. I find that the case is very useful as it can help protect the 3DS.

The actual gaming performance using the 3D mode is just awesome. I have encountered quite a couple of glitches such as at some parts in a game, the 3D effect is gone. This happens very fast and is gone very soon. I wouldn’t consider this a major problem that Nintendo needs to recall. When I turn up the 3D intensity all the way up, I can last maybe 20 minutes. After that,

• my eyes start to hurt. In order to continue playing, I have to using the 2 D mode, which is awful after experiencing the 3 D effects. I have noticed that I have a habit of staring up close to the screen when I play. When my eyes are not that close to the screen, the 3D effects do not seem appealing to me.

Associating with the 3DS, there are not a lot of 3D games. If you buy the 3DS now, most of the games you play will still be in the 2D mode. The games in the 3D mode are not the best. For example, there’s barely any Mario games such as Mario Kart, or New Super Mario Bros. I actually am looking forward to the New Super Mario Bros. However, it will probably be until Christmas when the 3D games start rolling in.

I have to admit that the 3D feature is amazing. However, I do not recommend this product. You are basically paying $250 to destroy your eyes fast. For me, the 3DS hurts the eyes. The other thing is the other features are not very “smooth” to use. I don’t want to carry a 3 DS with me when

I want to listen to music. I will just carry an iPod. It is smaller and it has more memory. Most video formats cannot be played on the 3DS. Even when the videos can be played, the quality is poor. The main reason is because the 3DS is meant for gaming, not video watching. If it is meant for gaming, then Nintendo can completely get rid of the music and video playback. These two features are useless. The internet browsing on the 3DS is worse than the internet browsing on a PSP. The speed is insanely slow! There is absolutely no way to load two web pages at once. It will take like a million years. It takes me maybe half an hour just to check my email on the 3DS. The internet speed is even slower in a public hotspot. The other thing is that the internet drains the 3DS battery very quickly. Maybe the 3DS will be worth buying when the price is cheaper, but at the current price, a tablet is more worth it. Add some money to the $250 and you can get yourself a very nice Playbook, Xoom, iPad, or Archos. It will be much better than this eye cancer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161041458280730/k2311a041/4.1.11