Sony ICD B600 Dictaphone  » Electronics  »
  • However, since I had to do it whether I liked it or not, I decided to just grit my teeth and start preparing for it early
  • After searching around for a while, I finally settled on a Sony ICD 8600 model, which cost me £20 on Amazon
  • When my package arrived, I was very impressed by my purchase
  • It has an LCD screen which I found large enough to clearly show me all the information I needed pertaining to the current state of the dicta-phone The buttons were also very easy to use and were well labelled so I didn't have a problem figuring out how to use it without consulting the manual first
  • All in all, I think this is a perfect tool recording interviews especially for university students, and I would recommend it

• by James Amulyoto

I am a part time student in university, and when I started my latest module, I was horrified to find that I had to interview at least three people (strangers) for half an hour each on their personal lives and social policy. I am normally a very shy person, so the thought of having to approach strangers and ask them what I considered to be personal questions scared me a lot. However, since I had to do it whether I liked it or not, I decided to just grit my teeth and start preparing for it early. The first thing on my agenda was to get a device on which to record the interviews. Some of my close friends and relatives suggested that I used the audio recording facility on my phone, but I wasn’t very confident about this since my phone is a bit old and is therefore not very reliable. If I used it, I could end up losing everything

when it decided to format itself as it normally does. I decided to get myself a dicta-phone, and so I researched for one. I wanted one that wasn’t very expensive since I wasn’t going to be using it a lot, but also reliable since I would want to keep it for a rainy day.

After searching around for a while, I finally settled on a Sony ICD 8600 model, which cost me £20 on Amazon.

When my package arrived, I was very impressed by my purchase. This particular model seemed small enough to operate with one hand like a phone, but it wasn’t so small as to give me the impression that it would easily break. It has an LCD screen which I found large enough to clearly show me all the information I needed pertaining to the current state of the dicta-phone The buttons were also very easy to use and were well labelled so I didn’t have a problem figuring out ...

• how to use it without consulting the manual first.

One thing about this device that impressed me was the fact that it had a folders section, which allowed me to store my work under different folders. For example, I had some personal recordings of my children singing some silly song which I decided to store under a folder I named personal, and I also had the University interviews which I stored under one I called University stuff. This device can store up to three hundred hours of recording when the quality is at the lowest setting. On the highest setting, I found that I could record up to sixty hours of audio, which is still a lot in my opinion. I found playback on this device to be very good; I often could hear background noise, showing how clearly it recorded sound. One thing I learnt was that for interviews, it is good to record while in a quiet environment as this device

has a very sensitive microphone and can often pick up even the slightest of noises.

One issue I had with this devices was it’s playback. I expected it to have a facility for slowing down playback so that it would be easier for me to transcribe, but sadly it didn’t. This meant that I had to keep pausing the player in order to type. This wasn’t a big problem for me since I can type quickly, but for anyone who’s slower it would take a lot of time to transcribe from this device. It also doesn’t have a USB port, so it’s not possible to transfer the audio files onto a computer, a feature that I would have appreciated a lot.

This dicta-phone uses AA batteries, and even though I have used it for around six months now, I have never had to change them. All in all, I think this is a perfect tool recording interviews especially for university students, and I would recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1630031456800631/k2311a0330/3.30.11