Sony RDR-DC505 Combined AV Recording Device  » Electronics  »
  • I recently got myself a new TV, but I was disappointed to find that it couldn't record to my regular analogue DVD recorder
  • There were so many HD/DVD recording devices, and all of them offered the best quality at unbelievably low price
  • I then came across the Sony RDR-DC505, which I decided to buy
  • Its main function is to record stuff from the TV, and I found that it did this with astonishing simplicity
  • Granted it's a bit pricey for what it is, but I found that it does a very good job of recording my favourite programs in whatever format I want without too much of a hassle

• by James Amulyoto

I recently got myself a new TV, but I was disappointed to find that it couldn’t record to my regular analogue DVD recorder. This meant that I also had to get a new DVD recorder, since recording stuff from the TV is one of those life’s pleasures that I and my family simply can’t do without. I went in search for one of these, and I was immediately baffled by the sheer variety of products on the market. There were so many HD/DVD recording devices, and all of them offered the best quality at unbelievably low price. Finding the right one for me was a task, since most of them had features that I simply didn’t need or had none of the features that I required. I then

came across the Sony RDR-DC505, which I decided to buy.

This has a capacity of 500GB and has an inbuilt Freeview tuner. It can also pause live TV, and also has an on-screen guide. It also has direct recording, in addition to recording to nearly all formats of CD/DVD. It has 850 hours of recording time and a 32 month maximum reservation event timing function.

This device looks like a standard DVD player, though it’s a bit bigger, presumably due to more contents. It has a selection of stickers on the lower left part of the device, showing its capabilities and features. On the right there’s a digital clock and just below this are the play, pause and stop buttons. The DVD slot is at the clock’s left.

When I got home and unpackaged it, I went through the instruction manual and found it very easy to set up. It took me only a matter of minutes to connect the recorder to the TV, and the on-screen instructions for the set-up were very easy to follow. Once I had it all set up, I was ready to start using the machine. Its main function is to record stuff from the TV, and I found that it did this with astonishing simplicity. All I had to do was switch on the recorder and the TV, choose the program I wanted and press record. This recorder comes with a timer which allows you to schedule the recorder to start recording at a particular time, and it was very easy to understand ...

• Sony RDR-DC505 Combined AV Recording Device
      how to use it using the user manual. One thing I loved about this recorder was the fact that it could record onto the internal drive, or onto a DVD. It can record on most DVD formats, and I normally use DVDs to record movies which I can watch later.

Picture and sound quality from the media saved on the hard drive is very good, similar to the one recorded on DVD. However, I found that the quality of media on a DVD is also pegged to the quality of the DVD you use; several times I have used very poor quality DVDs and as a result whatever I had recorded didn’t come out as well as one would want. This device also has a conditional access module, which

allows you to add a subscription package such as ESPN. I looked at the subscription prices for such and the cost wasn’t very encouraging, so I decided to stick to free channels at least for the time being.

There are other similar devices on the market for much cheaper and offering the same specs, but I would be very cautious about them. With the Sony, at least I was assured of some quality, and so far I have not been disappointed. Granted it’s a bit pricey for what it is, but I found that it does a very good job of recording my favourite programs in whatever format I want without too much of a hassle. I would gladly recommend it, and I know that whoever buys it won’t get disappointed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1630031456770631/k2311a0330/3.30.11