Snooper S270 Sapphire GPS  » Electronics  »
  • However, most people around me (including my wife and kids) kept on talking about how convenient they were, and after a while I decided to get myself one to see what they hype was all about
  • Chatting with one of my friends at work one day, he told me to start out with a cheap satellite navigation unit, just in case I didn't like the experience
  • I found that it was very simple to operate, and the directions given were very simple to follow
  • One has to pay a subscription fee of thirty pounds a year, which I think is very reasonable for all this information
  • I would recommend this to anyone not used to GPS devices, and who wants an 'amateur version' to see how it works

• by James Amulyoto

Until recently, I had not joined the SatNav bandwagon, and for a while after most people started using them for directions, I still stuck to using old fashioned maps. However, most people around me (including my wife and kids) kept on talking about how convenient they were, and after a while I decided to get myself one to see what they hype was all about.

Chatting with one of my friends at work one day, he told me to start out with a cheap satellite navigation unit, just in case I didn’t like the experience. He recommended a few devices, including a few TomToms and a Garmin. He also personally recommended the Snooper Sapphire GPS, which he said would be very good for a beginner like me. This was because (as he put it) it can be used with minimal frustration compared to everything else on the market.

I therefore went shopping and got myself the Snooper S270 Sapphire GPS plus at £120. I used it for a few months, and I must say my colleague was very correct when he said that it would be very easy to use. I found that it was very simple to operate, and

the directions given were very simple to follow. It has been so easy to use, in fact, that I have finally gotten rid of the paper street maps that I have been using for a long time. I found that it has all that a driver needs in UK and Ireland, including the locations of speed and mobile cameras. One has to pay a subscription fee of thirty pounds a year, which I think is very reasonable for all this information. I have also come to find out that a £100 up front payment gives you access to the subscription for the life of the gadget. In order to update the speed camera database, one needs to connect it to a PC running Windows 98 and above with internet access.

The 2.7 inch screen isn’t the biggest on the GPS market, but I found it very clear and it made the impression that the screen was bigger than it actually was. This device can display maps in both 2D and 3D, and I was very happy to find that the maps were very clear indeed. It was very easy for me to just glance at the small screen and get ...

• all the information I needed; I never had to take my eyes off the road for more than a second. Also, with the voice telling me where to turn, I found it very hard for me to get lost with this.

I found out that the maps on this device are supplied by Navteq (which also supplies most SatNav companies) and this gave me confidence in terms of how accurate the maps were. One feature that I found interesting about this SatNav was it’s Golf Pro Shot saver. This gives the position of more than 2000 golf courses in England. Since I’m not a golfer, this wasn’t very useful to me, but for any golfers out there, I think this would be a very good feature. It is an optional extra, and can be bought via subscription.

It was very easy for me to enter my destination on the SatNav. I found that I could use a postcode to locate the place I needed to be, and this could be done under the menu screen. It gives very easy to understand instructions when entering the details of the location. The more times I use it, the easier it is for

me to program it, and I have found that with time, it has come to be a very valuable and easy to use companion.

Sound quality from this device was not bad, though I found it easier to hear it with the windows rolled up and the radio turned down a little. This is because the SatNav’s speaker is only 1 watt, so it’s not too powerful. This device has a 3.7 volt battery which charges up very quickly from mains electricity or from the car itself. I found that on full charge, It could last a whole day very easily.

I have come to like this device, and it’s size makes it very easy for me to move around with it. Often, I have used it in foot without any problem at all. Granted, I think the price is a little too high compared to the standard old school maps, but with all it’s features and added accuracy, I think it’s worth it. I would recommend this to anyone not used to GPS devices, and who wants an ‘amateur version’ to see how it works. I am very happy with mine, and I hope to upgrade to a more complicated system later.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1630031456760631/k2311a0330/3.30.11