Philips GoGear Mix 4GB MP3 Player  » Electronics  »
  • I offered to pay half of the cost of the MP3 player, provided that she could come up with the other half, in a bid to teacher her a lesson about money management
  • I like checking out such devices, so it was not very long before I had started using it too to see what it was capable of
  • These are raised from the body, which is very convenient since it means that they can't be accidentally pressed
  • The LCD screen is small, but I found it very adequate at displaying the information about the music you are listening to
  • All in all, I found it to be a very nice music player, it was very easy for me to understand and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a simple, low end music player

• by James Amulyoto

Some time back, my daughter wanted to get herself a new MP3 player. I offered to pay half of the cost of the MP3 player, provided that she could come up with the other half, in a bid to teacher her a lesson about money management. After a while, she came to me with a picture of the MP3 player and the half it’s cost (£50). She had chosen the GoGear Mix 4GB from Philips, and just from the fact that she had been willing to come up with half it’s price, I could tell that she wanted it a lot. I then gave her the rest of the money, and she went ahead and bought it for herself. I like checking out such devices, so it was not very long before I had started using it too to see what it was capable of.

This MP3 player has a 4GB capacity, and can therefore store about nine hundred songs. It has a full colour LCD screen which shows four lines of text and shows

things such as the song title, album and artist. It also comes with some pre-set equalizers such as jazz and hip hop. It also allows for one to set their own custom equalizer. This MP3 player also has an inbuilt radio, voice recorder (it has an inbuilt microphone), drag and drop function for adding music and a USB connector.

In terms of looks, this MP3 player is around the size of a standard USB memory stick. It is a shiny black device, and I loved its colour a lot since it makes it look so stylish. It has controls running along the top of the unit. These are a volume rocker and a locking button. These are raised from the body, which is very convenient since it means that they can’t be accidentally pressed. The lower part of the front casing also has the play/pause, rewind and fast forward buttons. The buttons on this MP3 player were a bit too small for me, but that may be because I happen to have thick fingers. The LCD ...

• screen is small, but I found it very adequate at displaying the information about the music you are listening to. This scrolls across the screen, and I didn’t have any trouble reading it at all. The back-light to this display was also very brilliant.

This MP3 player’s menu is very easy to use and understand. You can access all of the product’s capabilities from the menu. It has an option of listening to either the saved music or the radio, and you can even record something via it’s inbuilt microphone. One can also browse the collection of music in the player. All of these functions are accessed using the controls at the front. I didn’t find the headphones to this MP3 player to be particularly good, but they were decent enough to listen to some music with decent clarity, as long as I kept the volume reasonable. These headphones also act as the antenna for the radio. Speaking of the radio, one can manually tune to FM stations to do it automatically, though I found that

when I decided to tune in automatically, some stations weren’t received so I’d much rather the manual method. In my opinion, the radio is the one component of this player that lets it down; when I used it I found that it wasn’t very clear, especially when I was moving around. One thing I loved about it, though, is the fact that I could record directly from radio onto the media player. The only problem with this was that I had to be stationary so as not to lose reception before whatever I was recording ended.

The fully charged inbuilt battery gave around 15 hours of playback, which I found impressive especially considering the fact that it didn’t take long for it to fully charge. My daughter really loves this media player, and I think that for fifty pounds, she did get a bargain. All in all, I found it to be a very nice music player, it was very easy for me to understand and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a simple, low end music player.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1630031456680631/k2311a0330/3.30.11