Motorola Xoom  » Electronics  »
  • I decided the Motorola Xoom instead of waiting for the next generation iPad
  • Emailing and surfing the web is no problem
  • The 1 GHz improves your multitasking experience dramatically

• by MisterTickle

I read a comparison of the Motorola Xoom and the iPad on DVICE. I decided the Motorola Xoom instead of waiting for the next generation iPad. The specifications are much better compared to the iPad. The Motorola Xoom has a price $599, which is only slightly cheaper than the iPad. The dimensions of this product is 0.5 inches by 9.8 inches by 6.6 inches. It is very thin at only half an inch thick. It has a processor speed of 1 GHz. The 1 GHz works pretty well. It comes with a pre-built 1 GB memory. It has wireless B, G, and N. It comes with internal speakers so you don’t have to carry headphones with you. It comes with an HDMI port, which is very

very useful. The other thing is that it runs on Android 3.0.

To start off with, the Android 3.0 is certainly a good improvement. I, however, do not notice any major improvements. The user interface certainly is better with the Android 3.0, but the applications selections are still the same.

The web browsing experience is very nice. I can actually watch videos online. I can type in YouTube and watch a video in a matter of minutes. This access is very simple and can be done very fast. However, video loading speed will depend on the internet speed. Slower internet speed means videos take longer to load. Emailing and surfing the web is no problem. There really isn’t anything for me to complain about here as ...

• everything is great. I prefer a 4G/ LTE connection. It means even faster internet speed wirelessly. That would be great, but will take some time for the Xoom to get this feature.

The 1 GHz improves your multitasking experience dramatically. I have attempted multitasking on the iPod Touch and it lags like crazy as it cannot load two game applications at once. The 1 GHz totally gets rid of this problem. Multitasking is simply awesome on the Android now.

I do have a few things I dislike. For one, the battery life is short. I can get maybe three hours or so with the battery if the wireless is on. Since the only thing I actually use on this tablet is the wireless feature, it is

important to me that the battery can support my usage. The battery also drains fast for gaming too. However, if I am reading PDF documents or doing something very “light”, then the battery will last for quite a few hours. The other dislike is “heating up”. The Xoom gives quite an amount of heat, especially after a few hours of usuage. I am constantly afraid that it may burn a bulb or some other delicate component in the hardware.

Other than that, the Xoom is much better than the iPad. I will definitely go for the Xoom. Great video and music playing experience. More importantly, the web browsing experience is outstanding. The speakers are not very loud so it may need ear phones if you like to watch videos.

Motorola Xoom

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1629031456211031/k2311a0329/3.29.11