Plum Glazed Cornish Hens Recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I love to cook, and especially around the holidays I can spend hours going through cookbooks and magazines like Taste of Home
  • My mouth waters when I think of the richness and deliciousness of this recipe

• by Grsky

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I love to cook, and especially around the holidays I can spend hours going through cookbooks and magazines like Taste of Home. While I usually stick to the easy meals I grew up with like meatloaf and pot roast, every once in a while I run across a recipe that catches my eye and if there is a brightly colored picture, that will often get me to try it too. Such is the case of the Plum-Glazed Cornish Hens.

Ingredients:

4 Large navel oranges - sliced 4 Cornish Hens split lengthwise 1/4 Tsp black pepper 1 Can (15 oz)

plums, pitted and drained 1/4 Cup finally chopped onion 1/4 Cup butter, cubed 3/4 Cup lemondade concentrate 1/3 Cup chili sauce 1/4 Cup soy sauce 1 1/2 Tsp prepared mustard 1 Tsp ground ginger 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Preparation:

Arrange orange slices in two 13″ x 9″ baking pans. Top with the game hens; sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the plums in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; stir in the lemonate concentrate, chili ...

• sauce, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, worcestershire sauce and plums. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside 1 cup of sauce. Spoon remaining sauce over hens.

Bake 30-45 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Serve with reserved plum sauce. Yields 4 - 6 servings.

A couple of things with the recipe. It was easier to do than I expected, the only difficult part was getting the plums pitted and processed. It was messy and I missed a pit which I then had to dig out of the plum pulp.

I don’t know if there are prepitted plums available but I will be looking for them next time. After the plums were processed, I prepared just two hens in the one pan, 4 halves. The sauce was just enough for the two, not sure how it would have been enough for another pan of birds. Even so, the sauce was out of this world. Piquant, just so flavorful and a perfect go with for the hens darker meat especially. My mouth waters when I think of the richness and deliciousness of this recipe.

It might seem like a bit of work, but trust me, it is well worth it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4928031455580331/k2311a0328/3.28.11