Viewsonic VPad
  • At four hundred dollars, this tablet is definitely worth it

• by MisterTickle

The Viewsonic VPad 7 runs on Android. It runs on Android 2.2 to be exact. I’ve seen a lot of Android operating devices and most are still only using Android 2.1 so getting the Viewsonic will give you a “head start” in the Android operating system version. This Viewsonic ViewPad has a seven inch screen. I find this is a pleasant size. Unlike the nine to ten inch tablets, I find that the seven inch tablet is great for holding in one hand. The price of this tablet is $419.99. The price compared to an iPad is more affordable. This tablet is loaded with features. I have to say that is has features that even the iPad does not have.

To start off with, I’m going to outline the features. For one, this Viewsonic Android tablet has blue tooth capability. This Viewsonic ViewPad is also 3G ready. This means you can actually go to any cell phone service provider and ask them to put you on a data plan. With this, you can now access the internet wherever you are. I did not get this feature as I do not want a monthly data plan especially when I can connect to the internet using my home network. It has

a wi-fi option so it is possible to connect whenever there is a wi-fi hotspot near by or an unsecured network around. This tablet has Google Mobile Services so I can easily access different features Google offer on the tablet. I will explain more about this feature later on. This tablet can also be for professional use. It comes with a Document-To-Go feature so I can easily access and edit Microsoft Office documents. Not only that, I can also read/ view PDF file formats.

Given the features, I will now give my opinion on them. For one, the Document-To-Go feature is very useful. I find that this is more useful if you have some kind of internet connection. Since I have internet connection, I simply go to my SkyDrive account by Microsoft and retrieve Microsoft Word documents. I then download those files locally and I can edit them and make changes when I am away from the computer. When I am finished with editing, I simply upload them to my SkyDrive account where I can access those files later when I go home and have a computer I can use. This is great for public places, especially when you have internet connection. When I say edit, I don’t ...

• mean typing up pages of an essay or report. The keyboard on the seven inch ViewPad is very small. It is very hard to type large amounts of text. However, it is possible to perform smaller editing such as spell check and maybe play around with the layout and the font.

The Google Mobile Services is also very useful. According to the specifications, I can access Gmail, Google Maps, watch YouTube videos, or read books with Aldiko. I don’t use GMS (Google Mobile Service) to access Gmail as I have and use Hotmail. To access Hotmail, I simply just type that into the web browser. Google Maps is the most useful tool. This is great for travelling and you can go to a McDonald’s and trace your location and find out how to get to your destination. Google Maps isn’t always accurate. I find that there are some major flaws. However, if will do for leisure travelling. I’ve tried the Aldiko feature. It is very neat and cool. It makes the Viewsonic ViewPad act as an e-reader. It is possible to comfortably read books. However, I get eye strains after reading for a long period of time. I still prefer a physical book rather than a digital format.

However, the digital format is useful for travelling and on the go. When travelling, it is hard to carry a bunch of books with you. Instead, I can simply carry the ViewPad. The eBook Formats include TXT, PDF, ePub, and HTML. ePub format is very useful as you can get free books in the ePub format from Gutenberg.

The battery run time is six hours for web browsing and that also goes for the video playback. However, I find that the battery life specification isn’t too accurate. I would say that the battery life is maybe four hours for browsing on the internet. It is no where close to six hours.

Overall, the tablet is a very good buy. The music and video playback are very basic. There isn’t anything too advanced or special about those features. The other thing is that this ViewPad comes with a front and back facing camera. It works great with Skype and talking to friends. I, however, do not use the camera feature often as I don’t talk on Skype or MSN a lot. However, it is useful to have for those that are very social and do not want to spend a lot. At four hundred dollars, this tablet is definitely worth it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1625031454121031/k2311a0325/3.25.11