Kobo Wireless eReader  » Electronics  »
1.5
  • Kobo Customer Service had to explain everything to me to get it working along the way
  • I am not happy with this device, although I really like the eReader concept for reading on-the-go

• by goldnsilver

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I got a Kobo as a gift from my boyfriend who knows I’m always dragging books where ever I go. Admittedly, I was very excited until I had to actually use this thing. First, the instructions were so vague and quite different from what I actually had to do to get it up and running. Kobo Customer Service had to explain everything to me to get it working along the way. The USB that came with it did not charge the device. I had to use my generic USB cable. It didn’t have the User Guide or 100 free books on it either, nor an installation program when viewing it in Windows Explorer. It wouldn’t let me put on my

library books, even though it was in compatible format. After 3 phone calls to Kobo, I finally got a man, George, who explained I had to do a factory reset, and walked me through it. Once that was complete, my Kobo was running smoothly. Surprisingly it worked as it was supposed to work. He told me these eReaders were finicky and I had to be precise on it’s set-up. So why didn’t the instructions just say exactly what HAD to be done to get it running properly?

Now that I’m set up, I want books, right? So over the course of a week I find a few new release books I really want to read. I go to Kobo’s site ...

• because one of the Customer Service Reps talked me into using their site. She said, “Borders will be shutting down eventually so don’t use their application”, which is totally untrue. Borders will not be shutting down for online purchasing and many stores remain open across the US. But I did find out that I can’t use both Kobo and Borders application with this device even though they are dedicated for Kobo eReaders. Go figure! If I do use both then ebooks purchased through the Kobo app will disappear while I’m using the books from the Borders app, and vise versa. Both will be there just hidden. Oh brother!

So, I’m on their site looking for a book I want, and it’s

not there. Then I go to Border’s site. Again, not there either. Out of curiosity I go to both Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Guess what? It’s available on both of those sites. Too bad I don’t have a Nook or Kindle. This scenario happens with 2 other books I’m looking for over the course of a week.

What’s the point of having an eReader if you can’t find what you want? I am not happy with this device, although I really like the eReader concept for reading on-the-go. I’ve decided to sell my Kobo and buy a Kindle instead.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1625031453971031/k2311a0325/3.25.11