KitchenAid K4555 Classic 250W 2-Quart Stand Mixer  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • It's a 250 watt, 4.5 quart mixer, and though it was a bit of a splurge when I bought it, it has actually turned out to be more than worth it
  • I found this feature very useful, since it freed me up to do other things
  • No doubt it's expensive, but I have enjoyed using it a lot and it has opened up a world of possibilities for me in terms of baking
  • It cost me $200, and I would highly recommend it

• by Sam Amulyoto

I’ve had this mixer for nearly twelve months now. It’s a 250 watt, 4.5 quart mixer, and though it was a bit of a splurge when I bought it, it has actually turned out to be more than worth it. Before getting this mixer, I didn’t do much baking. I used to prefer cooking techniques such as barbecuing, but ever since I got it, I have found myself baking more and more. This is because this mixer gives me the sense of using the right tool for the right job. I have found it to be very helpful in mixing since it makes the work so much easier for me. As a result, I have found that I have become more interested in baking as I can now concentrate on other things such as trying out new recipes, instead of worrying about the mixing part.

I have seen a lot of other mixers being used before, and one thing that set this one apart from all the rest is how it works. This, unlike other mixers, has a mixing

implement that rotates in two motions. Apart from spinning on its own axis, it also rotates around the edge of the bowl. The effect of this is that it is very effective at mixing stuff to a fine consistency without requiring human intervention. I also found that this meant that it didn’t require the periodic scraping of the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and this in turn means that when it’s mixing, I am free to do other things other than stand over it and supervise it. I found this feature very useful, since it freed me up to do other things. It has made my baking time much shorter too.

One attachment that really caught my eye was the dough hook. This is meant for kneading, and I have found it a godsend since I generally don’t like kneading dough. In fact, I have liked it so much that in the past few weeks I have made bagels, whole wheat bread and pizza dough with it, without any issues whatsoever. This happens to be one of ...

• the least powerful machines that Kitchenaid makes, but I found it very good at kneading stiff dough that would no doubt make short work of other mixmasters. Machine kneading took a lot of effort out of making bread for me, and I also found that it took a much shorter time to do the kneading than if I did it manually. It normally does it in ten minutes, as opposed to the 20 minutes it usually takes me to knead by hand.

The other two attachments that this mixer comes with are the whisk and the paddle. I found the paddle to be an all purpose beater, and I found it very good for creaming sugar and butter, mixing cake batter and also mixing cookie dough. The motion of the beater is such that it comes right to the edge of the bowl, which means that it is effectively scraping as it goes. I also found the whisk to be very good for making whipped cream and beating egg whites. I am sure that there are many other applications

for it, but that’s just what I’ve used it for.

I found the mixer’s capacity to be suitable for me, though for larger production one might consider getting a bigger one.

One thing I didn’t like about this mixer was that it was very heavy. Once I got it in place, I couldn’t come round to move it again and it has been at the same spot ever since. Also, if you intend to knead very stiff dough then you need to screw the bowl tightly in place, but this also means that it will be very hard to unscrew. I always forget to leave it a bit unscrewed, and as a result I end up having a hard time trying to get it out. Other than this, I haven’t had any other complaint about this mixer, and I am very happy with it. No doubt it’s expensive, but I have enjoyed using it a lot and it has opened up a world of possibilities for me in terms of baking. It cost me $200, and I would highly recommend it.

anne says :

do you know where you can find replacement bowls?

Jules Li says :

Anne, you should contact KitchenAid’s replacement parts department to replace it. Here’s the phone number to that department: 1-800-422-1230

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5324031453270231/k2311a0324/3.24.11