KitchenAid KP26MIXWH Pro 600 6-Quart Mixer  » Housewares  »
  • However, after I bought the mixer I found myself baking more and more, and my recipes got bigger
  • I initially had a 2-quart mixer, and though this turned out to be great in the beginning, I found myself needing a bigger capacity mixer to keep up with my baking
  • I decided to get the 6-quart KitchenAid KP26M1XWH Professional series stand mixer
  • Initially I thought it had burned out, so I just stopped using it and planned on taking it to an electrician
  • I would generally recommend it, just as long as you know about and are comfortable with it's downsides

• by Sam Amulyoto

I have owned a KitchenAid stand mixer for a while now, and I was very happy with it. It made me develop an interest in baking, something that I had always found to be too tedious. However, after I bought the mixer I found myself baking more and more, and my recipes got bigger. I initially had a 2-quart mixer, and though this turned out to be great in the beginning, I found myself needing a bigger capacity mixer to keep up with my baking.

I decided to get the 6-quart KitchenAid KP26M1XWH Professional series stand mixer. In one of my recipes, I have to use two cups of bread flour to make one batch. I therefore decided to use the new mixer to make a double batch (4 cups) in order to save time and electricity. After 15 minutes of kneading, however, the motor turned itself off. Initially I thought it had burned out, so I just

stopped using it and planned on taking it to an electrician. However, going through its manual several days later, I found that this was a feature of the mixer. Apparently, the motor turns itself off when it gets too hot, and when it does so you just have to let it cool down before you can switch it on again. When I tried to switch it on again, it did come on. I don’t understand how they can design a motor such that it can get too hot after fifteen minutes of kneading in the first place, and this disappointed me a lot since I had expected so much from this mixer. The mixer’s box says that it can make be used to knead dough for bread with 14 cups of flour, and I seriously doubt this claim after my experience.

One aspect of this mixer that didn’t please me at all was it’s electricity consumption; I tend ...

• to use the mixer a lot and I noticed a definite increase in my power bill. This being a relatively small appliance, I did not expect it to increase my bill by much, but I was sorely disappointed at the end of the month. Also, I found it very noisy; it’s actually noisier than the smaller KitchenAid I had. Apart from this, the pro 600’s body and other components are made of brandished steel, meaning that it’s not dishwasher safe. I find this very inconvenient, as most of my other appliances can just be taken apart and dumped in the dishwasher without any problems. Having to wash the dough off the appliance has also proved to be a problem for me, and as a result I don’t like using it as much as I would like to. When buying the dishwasher, I had thought all the shiny parts were made of stainless steel, but I was clearly
        very wrong.

Features of the mixer that I like include it’s spiral dough hook, which I found to be very capable at kneading the dough for me. The mixer also has a soft start feature, which allows it to start spinning at a very low speed, which I found very helpful in some recipes. However, I would have loved it if had a speed lower than the lowest one provided, as I find it generally too fast sometimes. Also, the larger bowl means that I can fit more stuff into it for mixing, and the large number of different speeds is also impressive.

Generally, I found this a very nice mixer, and it did it’s work very well, if you got over the overheating and dishwasher-friendliness issues. I would generally recommend it, just as long as you know about and are comfortable with it’s downsides. Because once you get over those, it is actually a pretty good mixer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5324031453260231/k2311a0324/3.24.11